Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Is This How Limit Is Played?

Full Game, bad player limps UTG, I raise next to act with AKo, SB calls, BB calls, bad player calls. Flop is 23Qo, bad player bets out I raise? SB calls, bad player (BP) calls. Turn is 2, checked to me and I check planning on calling a river bet.

BTW, in case you are unsure of what the title refers to it is the flop play, not something that comes naturally to me, raising AK ace high with players to act behind me.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Is This How Limit Is Played?

damn this post is funny... bet the turn, man.
if you check the turn, calling a river bet UI is an absolute sucker play. truly horrible.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn this post is funny... bet the turn, man.
if you check the turn, calling a river bet UI is an absolute sucker play. truly horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, it's neither an "absolute sucker play" nor is it "truly horrible." I prefer betting the turn and checking behind on the river to checking the turn and calling a river bet, but those extreme descriptions of his play are completely unwarranted.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:59 PM

No talk of the flop play, is that mandatory? Even with 2 people to act behind me?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No talk of the flop play, is that mandatory? Even with 2 people to act behind me?

[/ QUOTE ]pretty much.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 PM

either you want the freebie, or youre trying to protect a vulnerable hand that may be best... why would you take a free card, then call when you missed your draw?
i see 2+2 types makes this play often, yuck.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 PM

Its called inducing a bluff...it pops up in books every once in a while...

Seriously though taking that line isn't horrible against opponents that are capable of c/r the turn with a worse hand than Ace high, and are equally capable of betting the river with no pair. That should generally be reserved for heads up situations, however.

On this turn we'd love to get a fold, and betting the turn and checking the river is the better way to go.

lf
Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 PM

Why would you not bet the turn if you could beat the hand you're inducing the bluff from on the river? Wouldn't you just be missing a value bet and giving them infinite odds to draw out?

This has got to be way wrong. He has to have a narrow hand range, then the river has to not fall within that range, AND he has to bluff that river, finally his "bluff" can't be something like an underpair that you can't even beat. I think this combo happens very rarely. I also think this is one of those situations players who are good, but not very good fall into. They have 2 concepts in their head, can't decide between the 2, so they do the worst option of combining them so that they don't choose the "wrong" one.

My 2c
Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 PM

While I like your flop play, I think people are missing that SB called two cold both PF and on the flop. While this could easily be a str8 draw, a PP or Q are also likely. Given that bad player probably had me beat as well, I don't think checking turn UI but checking/folding river UI are bad at all. HU with BB, I'd prefer the bet turn, check river line much better.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though taking that line isn't horrible against opponents that are capable of c/r the turn with a worse hand than Ace high, and are equally capable of betting the river with no pair. That should generally be reserved for heads up situations, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
On this turn we'd love to get a fold, and betting the turn and checking the river is the better way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus when you do catch on the river you get to bet again.