Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Heads-up Capped Action

Every live game I've played at has no cap for heads up action. Every online site I've played at does.

Does the capping of heads-up action cut into your expectation significantly?

Mathematical answer preferred, though musing is welcome.

EDIT: apologies if this has been asked before.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Heads-up Capped Action

I know in some parts of the country pots go FAR beyond the cap heads-up, but, most of the time, they don't. How often does it really come into play -- that's the start of your answer.

Also, if you want non-capping heads-up, Interpoker doesn't have the heads-up cap.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-20-2005, 04:21 AM

If limit raising is like a conversation, then I wonder what people who take it past the cap's conversation goes like? I just can't see anyone without the absolute nuts going past a few bets.

Board: 6d 6h 7d 8d Ac

Villain 1: Hi.
Villain 2: Howdy
Villain 1: My high card is higher than yours.
Villain 2:Well, I got a pair.
Villain 1: So do I.
Villain 2:I 3rd pair or better.
Villain 1: I have 2nd pair or better.
Villain 2:I have top pair.
Villain 1: I have top pair, top kicker.
Villain 2:I have two pair or trips.
Villain 1: So?
Villain 2:I have a straight.
Villain 1: I have a flush.
Villain 2:I have the nut flush
Villain 1: I can beat the nut flush
Villain 2:Well, I have a boat
Villain 1: Which boat?
Villain 2:Higher than yours.
Villain 1: Really?
Villain 2:I have top boat.
Villain 1: No you don't
Villain 2:Yes, I do.
Villain 1: Well, sorry about your luck but I have quads.
Villain 2:No way.
Villain 1: Yes way.
Villain 2:I won't give you credit for quads.
Villain 1: Sorry.
Villain 2:Well, I have a straight flush.
Villain 1: How high?
Villain 2:Yea right.
Villain 1: Seriously, how high?
Villain 2:Hahahaha.
Villain 1: Well I got a higher straight flush.
Villain 2:No you don't
Villain 1: Yes, I do
Villain 2:You're bluffing.
Villain 1: No, I'm not.
Villain 2:Well, I'm out of chips, I'll call, but hell if you can beat my top pair.

Villain #1 shows: Ad Kh
Vlllain #2 shows: Ah Qh

Villain 1: Damn, outkicked.
Villain 2:Told ya.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM

Thanks for both your replies.

Barron, this notion did cross my mind when making the post. I don't see a large number of pots going 5 bets heads-up in live games, but I feel (no numbers to back this feeling up) that I see more heads-up pots in online games going 4 bets than in live games at comparable limits. I wonder how many of this players willing to go 4 bets without the nuts would often go 5 or 6.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:51 PM

William Hill has no-capped action. I know this becasue I was watching a 6 handed 150/300 British Pound game this afternoon.

These guys went to 3 bets preflop. And another 2 on a flop of A77. On the turn the board was A778 and the betting went crazy. They went 7 bets! I was sure it had to be AA vs 77. But the winner had 88 and the other guy showed his A7.

I would have thought players at this level knew what they were doing, but maybe there are just as many suckers up there and they just have bigger bankrolls
Old 09-20-2005, 06:51 PM

I play on Interpoker 2/4 6max. I have had people put 10 bets into me without the nuts (I have held the nuts). Once on the turn I had the nut straight, but a flush draw was on the board. It went to 8 bets before I called fearing I was being freerolled by the same straight with the flush draw (which would have been Kh Jh). Flush hit on the river, villan showed the third highest set.

Moral of the story, people put in lots of bets without the nuts, or even close to the nuts.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 PM

Hilarious post, well written.

As someone stated above, Interpoker has no heads-up cap. I found this out when I was blessed with quad nines and someone with a boat could not believe it. You would think that each seperate bet would be an opportunity to rethink, but some people just tilt out.

I have noticed that this opportunity seems to come up more often in live games, perhaps because they are looser.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would think that each seperate bet would be an opportunity to rethink

[/ QUOTE ]

...as it should be. However, once players have decided that they are going all-in, it is not likely that they will be stopped, even if they have to do it one bet at a time.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:32 PM

The fact that many players are willing to go all-in bet by bet with significantly less than the nuts means you shouldnt be slowing down against an unknown with top set after it fills up just because there's a quad opportunity out there.

Ive had people 8bet me with two pair at a live game (when i had the nut flush). Had this been online and people werent snickering at him, i dont doubt that he would have moved everything in one chip at a time.

edit:

I was once in a position at a 3/6 table where i made top set (nuts until the river) when the board paired, making by hand second best only to quads.

Well, someone had the quads. The guy was a known retard at the table. Had it not been for the fact that he was all-in on the turn, im not sure how many bets i'd have taken it to.

This was at harrah's in vegas. The cap on all streets is 5 there. It was a 4 way pot, capped preflop, on the flop and on the turn. Holy [censored] that was devastating. After the quad guy was all in, the side pot was a whopping $10.