Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Started 3/6 6max games today...

After playing full time on the 3/6 full games for the last two months, and doing well, I decided it was time to take a "shot" at 3/6 6-max.

My plan, which will soon be detailed in my blog ( blog ), doesn't have me starting 6-max until December. However, since I already exceeded my monthly nut for September AND October and put away money for savings and taxes for these two months, I figured it couldn't hurt to take another 100bb shot.

I say another 100BB shot because I tried this last month and lost 100BB's at 3/6 within, say, two hours. It was the same bad run/poor play story, so I won't retell, but I also think my thought process for 6 max contributed heavily to this drop.

I have played poker for over two years now for my only source of income, but I never "made it" in 6 max. Because I just graduated college in May I almost always had tons of expenses to pay, like tutition, and never had the bankroll to multitable limits above 3/6 online, although I have played up to 10/20 live.

So over the past two years I have dabbled in 6 max, frequented the HUSH board and learned what I could from just reading. The problem I am constantly running into is that when I try the "HUSH industry standard" technique of playing in the low limit 6max it has never worked.

Now, I don't pretend to be a winning player at 6max, but I have a full table database of over 300k hands where I was better than 1.75bb/100 8-12 tabling. I should be able to figure this 6max thing out...but it's not working so far...

I think one of my problems is being too aggressive. Another is trying to have 27/20/2 stats at 3/6. Another is being too loose out of the SB. Another is trying to bluff people off unimproved big hands, such as AQ and AK.

So my question is this: For those of you who have a good sample of 3/6 6max, what is your gameplan opposed to the 5/10 or 10/20 game. Should I try to be tighter/more selective with hands, or should I play looser preflop and look for big flops? Am I getting the same value out of raising 44 from the CO or MP that I would be getting in 10/20? Should I be trying to steal more, or less?

I know Alobar has recently dabbled in 3/6 6max for the OIC, and I thought his thoughts on the game were great.

Lots of rambling I know, but it's getting late.

I know my best bet is to keep posting/reading hands, but I thought I'd just throw this out there to see if anything useful came back.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Started 3/6 6max games today...

Move down to $1/2 to learn it for a bit. The money value will be less and you will be able to make the better plays as your not worried about losing a big $$$ pot.

Don't assume people are bluffing, I did at first and the swings are huge. I got lucky and caught alot of blufffs with A high but I realise that alot of the time its a losing play.

Value bet is the key thing here and you need experiance to know what people bet with. You need to be raising TPnK, folding to turn raises when you are REALLY curious and pumping good draws (pair plus flush draw HU)