Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Home tournament add on question

A few weeks ago I was playing in a $20 buy in 25 person tournament with a bunch of people I didn't know. You could rebuy in the first hour, and then you could also buy an add on for $20 for the orignal ammount of chips.

The first hour I didn't play a single hand, except once when I was BB and nobody raised preflop. I was getting dealt absolute crap. However, the game moved pretty slow, and I still had a decent amount of chips on me, somewhere like 8/10ths of what I started with. Still, I really felt like it wasn't my night.

So when it comes time to add on, I'm the only person out of the 20 people there who doesn't get one. My feelings were that I'd just be throwing away the extra $20, because I didn't feel like I was having a good night. Of course everyone at my table flamed me, telling me how stupid I was, and that I just cost myself a chance to cash.

Two hands after the break I lost all my money with top 2 pair against a rivered straight. So obviously in this particular case it worked out well, because the way the hand went down, I would have lost everything regardless. Still, is it wrong to not always get add ons? Obviously they're +EV in most cases, but I still feel that particular night I'd be throwing my money away.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Home tournament add on question

Assuming it was a bad idea to pass up the add-on, why in the world would they want to berate you because you supposedly cost yourself a potential prize? Wouldn't that mean their chance of finishing in the money is better?

That being said, it's your decision whether to add-on, and nobody else's. I offer add-ons at my home game, and usually about half of the players take it. Nobody gives anyone a hard time, and if they did, they know where they door is.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 PM

add-on is +Ev especiallly when everyone is gonna do it your putting yourself at a disadvantage
Old 09-15-2005, 08:17 PM

If the rebuy only gets you the original amount of chips, it should approximately double your chances of cashing, for double the money. So, it is a wash whether you take it or not. It is +EV if you feel you are a better player than the competition, of course.

If you weren't really feeling into the game, then I would say you made the right decision by not taking the rebuy.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 PM

About a month ago I was in a similar situation. It was a 21 person tourney with top 3 getting paid that supported rebuys and add-ons and I was off to a good start until taking a rough beat. I was card dead for awhile and then got pocket kings in EP. I raised and got reraised by a LAG and I pushed. He called with J10s and made trips on the turn.

This was right before the rebuys were scheduled to end and I though about calling it a night but I figured I would be passing up on a major opportunity with so many bad players (particularly at my table).

I took a rebuy and then added on to get to a little less than the average and picked up a few more chips at my table before being moved to the final table. I got good cards and ran well in the few races I was in and ended up taking 2nd place for a nice profit even considering how much I spent on the rebuy and add-on.

Bottom line is that if you have a major advantage over the rest of the field it is worth it.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 PM

I take the addon unless I'm in the top 5% of stacks. Just plan on it in rebuy tournaments, I plan to risk 3x the buyin... 5x if the game is especially good.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:58 PM

You didn't throw extra money into a tournament you didn't feel good about.

That is a good decision. Screw them.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:40 AM

I play in a bar tourney where the rebuy is a half-stack. Weird.

-adam
Old 09-18-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't throw extra money into a tournament you didn't feel good about.

That is a good decision. Screw them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a bar tourney where the rebuy is a half-stack. Weird.

-adam

[/ QUOTE ]

At my home game, and at another home game in my area, we both do half-add-ons. It is a nice compromise between no add-ons and a full add-on.