Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Why running bad sucks (NC)

Yesterday, I lost with AA after 72s called my PF raise and flopped trip 2's. We got it in on the flop.

Today:

Empire $50NL 6 max, my second hand at the table. Everyone has ~ 100BB
Hero is in SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG raises to 1$, all fold, I call, BB calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, BB checks, UTG bets 4$, I call, BB raises to 8$, UTG raises to 20$, I push, both call.

Results:
BB has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG has T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Turn and river were both clubs.

Sigh.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Why running bad sucks (NC)

Misplayed on nearly every street.

Reraise pre-flop. Lead the flop.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I lost the hand because I misplayed it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't think it was that bad. All the money went in with me as an 86% favorite. What's the problem?

Preflop: everyone folds. Why re-raise and define my hand? Let him try to raise me out of this pot. I'm up against one or two opponents, which is fine for me. This is a perfect trapping opportunity.

Flop: again, why define my hand? There's only one ace left in the deck, why would I lead out and potentially scare everyone out of this flop? Let 'em take the lead.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:23 AM

Hey Bearhustler,

Sorry you're running bad. Preflop call is weird... Why no reraise? What was your rationale?

I think flop is okay... I don't think you have to lead the flop given your preflop action, but I think you have to raise when it gets back to you... one of them obviously has something that'll pay you off and it's a fairly draw heavy board.

Hope things turn around for you.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, I lost the hand because I misplayed it

I don't think it was that bad. All the money went in with me as an 86% favorite. What's the problem?

Preflop: everyone folds. Why re-raise and define my hand? Let him try to raise me out of this pot. I'm up against one or two opponents, which is fine for me. This is a perfect trapping opportunity.

Flop: again, why define my hand? There's only one ace left in the deck, why would I lead out and potentially scare everyone out of this flop? Let 'em take the lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1) Whether or not you won the hand has nothing to do with how well you played it.

#2) You're going to play the best hand, OOP against 2 opponents. That isn't a situation you want to be in. Reraise pre-flop, not to define your hand, but to cut down on your opponents odds to outdraw. Also, this is a very drawy board with possible straight-flush draws out there. Cut down on their odds.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Bearhustler,

Sorry you're running bad. Preflop call is weird... Why no reraise? What was your rationale?

I think flop is okay... I don't think you have to lead the flop given your preflop action, but I think you have to raise when it gets back to you... one of them obviously has something that'll pay you off and it's a fairly draw heavy board.

Hope things turn around for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I just played about 800 hands at Prima. I couldn't get a re-raise in preflop, especially if it was only me and the raiser, because they would simply fold every single time. Not only that, but at 6-max, with a 2- or 3-way flop, I was expecting mad agression postflop. Maybe I should re-adjust to Party standards.

As to re-raising on the flop, his bet was bigger than pot size. Felt he was doing a good job at doing the betting for me. It also seemed like he was the one afraid of the draw.

Things turning around: I might have dropped 300$ at playing poker, I made 700$ in bonuses in the same time, so I'll be fine [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're going to play the best hand, OOP against 2 opponents. That isn't a situation you want to be in. Reraise pre-flop, not to define your hand, but to cut down on your opponents odds to outdraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like mid/high logic. You seem to assume that this pot is mine PF, because I have the best hand, and that I want to protect it.

When I'm holding aces at $50NL, I wanna take the action postflop. I don't want a family pot, but I certainly don't mind one or two callers.

I'm perfectly comfortable playing aces out of position against the preflop raiser. It means that I can expect him to continue the action postflop. Depending on his bet size, I can re-raise him, or smoothcall if I want to continue trapping.

I still don't know what to make of the flop re-raise question. BB was getting a little under 3:1 on his call. On one hand, figuring in implied odds, that would be enough to call with a straight or flush draw. On the other hand, not all his outs would be clean, because I can boat up.

You're probably right about re-raising though.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:57 AM

Just as an aside, you also want to reraise to define your opponents hand. If you had raised in say, MP and he reraised, then I don't mind a smoothcall. As it is, your opponent could have a wide range of hands which could easily outdraw you.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like mid/high logic.

When I'm holding aces at $50NL, I wanna take the action postflop. I don't want a family pot, but I certainly don't mind one or two callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opponents' odds to outdraw are not a function of stakes or their ability.

Aces are 80% against basically everything. If you charge $5 to see a flop, and put in the remaining $20 on 100% of flops, your opponents can't make money against you in the long run. You'll get outflopped about 1 time in 8, but only pay off 5x their initial wager. If you charge zero, your opponents are correct to see a flop with any two cards.

A strong-but-vulnerable holding, such as you hold preflop and on the flop, out of position against two players, in a raised pot, is not a good candidate for slowplay. Try to keep it simple when out of position; bet and raise when you're ahead.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:14 PM

ul.