Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 AM

Default And i\'m back to whine again. Played with me? extra time? help pls.

80k hands of 5/10 6max, and I'm at about 0.5BB/100 with the last 60k hands being losing... I started a new database in September and am too retarded to combine it wit august and graph it both together. So here are the 2 graphs of august/sept.

So...basically after my first week of playing, I had more profit (quite a bit more) than I do now. I'm surviving off of rakeback pretty much.

Here's the progress(?) i've made since my last whine post:
I've hired a coach to look over some of my hands. My major issue was passive blind play, which I think I've improved quite a bit. I'm tossing out more bets on non-drawy boards against a weak limping SB. Fighting harder for the BB from the SB, folding to steal less from the BB. I was flat calling steals from the SB before, which I know now is a mistake and have mostly stopped doing it. My folded SB to steal has gone up about 3 points from 82 to 85 because I'm making myself fold or raise more often. I'll adapt that better eventually.

I feel like i've got a pretty good idea of when to follow through with a turn bet on a whiffed steal. When to check and take a cheap showdown. When to check and take no showdown. Etc etc. Unless my grasp of the game is completely off, I think i'm doing that pretty well...

During the 2nd graph, and about the last 20k hands of the first, I cut out TV completely. I used to have it on while playing and now i dont. I try to make more player specific reads(beyond HUD stats) and it will alter my play maybe a few times a day - once every 1000 hands or so.

Oh...I also bought and read Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker at the beginning of September. Read through it, decided to stop raising KTo and QJo utg, not too many other significant game changes though.

The game had never really made me mad before. I would get disheartened, especially during the 400-500BB downswing, but never mad. This month i've slacked off on about 16 hours of play because I felt myself getting pissed and made myself stop playing. The weeks of no progress are starting to wear me down.

I think i've come to the conclusion that I could be missing some fundamental skills that I might just be overlooking while trying to find more detailed mistakes.

Oh...as for other random information.

I practice fairly decent game selection. 3 2+2ers and I usually leave. I dont go too far out of my way to find jucier games, but just make sure i'm not in a room with a bunch of 23/16s.

Stats -
22/17/2.5 River aggression is 1.62
Won$@showdown% when bet/raised the river is at 76.24. Last month it was nearly 80, so I've improved there. I think i've done a very good job of getting in value bets.
Fold SB to steal - 88% (i know, yuck, but i'm still getting used to the raise or fold idea)
Fold BB to steal - 65
Att to steal blinds - 32
Went to SD - 35
Won$ at SD - 55 <<this strikes me as VERY odd. Usually a number this high means I'm running well. I dont know what to make of it...

My preflop game is pretty much polished. I dont think that's where the issue is. So i'm screwing up somewhere post flop...probably screwing up big time. I just cant figure out where it is.

So if you have played with me, my screen name is DCWDiamonds, please take a moment to see if i'm royally screwing myself somehow.

Dont take my confidence in certain areas of play as arrogance. This is just what I feel about myself, not that my plays are actually correct. If I was confident about something that is a flaw, point it out.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Btw - a vacation isnt the answer...i pretty much had a 4 day break september 1-4.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: And i\'m back to whine again. Played with me? extra time? help pls.

link
Old 09-13-2005, 07:42 AM

I haven't played that many hands with you so I don't have that much to say. But we played a session yesturday, screen name Croccoa, and I didn't spot anything out of the ordinary when it comes to leaks except for one hand (but maybe your read was better than mine).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: DCW is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">DCW raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG (loose passive) calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">DCW bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">DCW bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, DCW calls.

River: (8.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, DCW calls.

This guy is the reason I was a this table. He is 75/2/0.6 in 300 hands, CR 0.5% so I fold this turn with no hesitation. For some reason he did pull a stunt here with T8o so your call was good on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] but normally you have to let it go.

A while later I had AA against him on a ATT flop which he capped on the turn and bet/folded on the river. So apparently he liked being tricky on paired boards. Except for these two instances I thought this guy was very predictable. Did you have a different read?

From what I could tell (with so few hands) your play was solid, no unnecessary chip spewing, which is important IMO if you want to beat 5/10 for the max.

Btw. if you have any notes about my play or comments, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:13 AM

Who is your coach?

Krishan
Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Krishan - Alobar

Nietz - Yeah that hand pissed me off pretty royally... That was a play that i'd rarely ever make, my gut was screaming that he was making a play, and I figured an A high would call down instead of make a move. Stupid 8h.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 AM

how's the berating going?

you still probably aren't betting the river enough, but that's a total conjecture

I agree with Nietzche's analysis on that hand, and mention it because (unless you really had a great read), I think it's possible the hand reveals a potential issue. I think at 5/10, against a couple of players on the turn and no obvious draws, you usually have to pull back the aggression with something like K high.

But my 5/10 results are pretty mediocre recently, so take that with a grain of salt.

[ QUOTE ]
Krishan - Alobar

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing for a protracted I suck streak like this is more coaching. Try and do a HH swap with someone. Maybe offer to sweat someone. Reviewing someone elses hands and posting the ones you don't understand might work.

Krishan
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Krishan - Alobar

Nietz - Yeah that hand pissed me off pretty royally... That was a play that i'd rarely ever make, my gut was screaming that he was making a play, and I figured an A high would call down instead of make a move. Stupid 8h.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah those hands are the worst, when you make a good call on the turn an then they pair up on the river.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:29 AM

I only have a couple hundred hands on you, but I had a question on this one. Do you always lead any flop after initiation preflop action?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: DCW is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">DCW raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9.80 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">DCW bets</font>, calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, DCW calls, calls, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (7.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, DCW calls, folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

This is minor, but why bet this flop? You have 4 clean outs at best and facing a big field. You're not ahead now and on this board this gets folded around for one SB like...never.

edit: fixed hand conversion