Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Moving up from $5+1 to $10+1 on PP

This may be somewhat of a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I've been playing a lot of $5+1 SnG's on PP with marginal success. It appears that quite often when I try to make a move/play somewhat aggressively, I usually get far too many callers with far from adequate hands (Axo, K9o etc etc.), and they wind up drawing out on me. (With my bets 3-4xBB, or even pushes)

I've been searching and reading several very informative posts on this website, and adopted the tight-early, aggressive-late technique, however success has still yet been marginal.

I guess I'm asking two things:

1: People who frequent the $5+1 tables, what is your success ratio of landing ITM?

2: If I move up to $10+1 tables, can I expect to see more "skilled" players?

Sorry if this seems a little dumb, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Moving up from $5+1 to $10+1 on PP

This is not answering either of your questions but here are a couple of thoughts:
<ul type="square">[*]The vig is half as much at the 10+1's.[*]Some suggest the above is compensated for by the bad play at the 5+1's.[*]You really do not want better opponents. Moving up hoping to get opponents who play better so your plays will work against them is just silly. Loose callers are easy to beat. Boring, but easy. [/list]Learn to crush the 6 or 11's (I suspect you will find the level of play at the 11's is pretty loose, too).
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM

As long as your bankroll allows is (min. $200) I'd move up to 10+1. The skill level is no different, it's probably worse in fact. I've played several at each level.

Move up just for the 50% tax savings alone.

20% tax at 5+1 is very bad.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:34 PM

The play on the 6s is only marginally looser than the play on the 11s. So, I suppose you could say that the 11s are fractionally harder than the 6s, but it is not even noticeable. Whatever miniscule difference is more than made up for by the decreased rake.

That said, be careful with what you think are strong hands. Obviously there is a time and place to push K9 or Ax (or any other hand), but you need to be very careful of your table position. If you are constantly getting multiple callers as your OP stated, you might be pushing marginal hands from too early of a position when you have little FE.

You also seem to be overvaluing these marginal hands. I can't say that I've ever said that an opponent "drew out" on me after I pushed with K9.

Another common fallacy is that it is harder to ITM vs bad players. Take your time moving up and study the forum. Bad players are your bread and butter. If you can't beat them consistently, the problem is not your opponents, it's you. Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been searching and reading several very informative posts on this website, and adopted the tight-early, aggressive-late technique, however success has still yet been marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing tight-early, aggressive-late does not make you a 20%ROIer overnight. The one thing in poker that you can never teach is experience, if you're not losing, you're learning for free.

Lori
Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The skill level is no different

[/ QUOTE ]

this is debatable, but accurate enough.

[ QUOTE ]
,it's probably worse in fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

i call bullsh*t on you for this one though. there is no basis for this statement.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:52 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments, and not being to harsh. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I figured it was more my personal plays than the abilities of the other players.

I'll keep at it. I'm pretty sure I've been playing/folding the right hands at the right moments, but I guess I just need further experience.

Anyone else's advice would be more than welcome also.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:00 PM

#1 most important is to move up to 10/1

u have to beat that extra 10% in rake to make profit...not good

your roi playing the exact same way will be higher at 10s than 5s due to that alone
Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 PM

From what I can tell, the play at 5+1 has always been tighter than 10+1. That's just my experience of probably less than 50 combined SNG's between both levels. Could just be an aberration.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:15 PM

I thought about the rake, and that was another strong consideration.

However, my current bankroll cannot adequately support moving up to 11s.