Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Downswing question

This is not a whine, just a question.

Is a 100BB downswing in two days normal?
Is it normal to not win one single hand in 4 hours play?
It's not like I play marginal hands, I wait for the premium ones. I'm even more tight than usual due to the downswing.

If I flop a set someone gets a straight, you know, the usual stuff. Quad just busted a boat. Nothing hits.

Like I said, this is not a whine or a bad beat post, just a question if this is all normal or would it be considered exreme bad luck?

I guess the mainquestion is, 100BB in 2 days, is that a lot?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Downswing question

[ QUOTE ]
Is a 100BB downswing in two days normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can expect to see several 100BB downswings over the course of your playing career. You may even see bigger swings. Post some hands on the appropriate forums if you want to get any feedback on how you are currently playing.

Regards,

T
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 AM

what game are you playing

I agree that a 100BB downswing is not a lot, and especially not a lot shorthanded.

But if you have a 400BB downswing then you really have a problem.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 AM

Playing .10/.20 nano limit and 10 player tables.

I seem to have these somewhat large downswings every 2 or 3 weeks. I'd like to figure out if it's me or just variance.

I'd post some hands if I could, but the prima skin I use isn't compatible with bison afaik.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I seem to have these somewhat large downswings every 2 or 3 weeks. I'd like to figure out if it's me or just variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I woudn't think swings like this should happen that often. Are they accompanied by upswings? I'm guessing these nano limit games are very loose, which will contribute to swings.

Without some questionable hands, it's hard to offer much advice. I have played maybe 50 hands on Prima nanos, so I'm not really familiar with the games there.

Regards,

T
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 AM

It's not something out of the ordinary, most players if not all, at one point in their poker career have losing streaks, it's all part of the game. You just learn to see through it and continue playing your "A" game and brighter days will follow. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 12:01 PM

I just came off one of my worst downwings, probably lost close to a grand playing 2/4 limit over the course of a week.

Broke the downswing this past weekend, start out with $200 and tripled up.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:28 PM

U should try the 2/4 party bad beat jackpot tables, I been having a seriously good 'upswing' in there this month [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 12:47 PM

My first question would be whether your fear of the downswing is not just making you play tighter, but making you play more passively, thus allowing weaker hands to draw out on you.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first question would be whether your fear of the downswing is not just making you play tighter, but making you play more passively, thus allowing weaker hands to draw out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think i play more passively. I wait for premium hands.

Let's say I have AKo. The flop never hits these days. It can look something like JQ3 rainbow and I'm bet in to. WHat do I do? I usually call the bet to see the turn but it doesn't hit either.

After that I fold.

Maybe I should raise the flop? Maybe I AM playing too passively. It's that sad feeling that if I hit QQ I just know I'm going to lose the hand anyway. I do keep playing by the book though.

I also know this will change, my main question was and still is: is 100 BB a lot over 1-2 days?