Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Optimal strategy for playing low buyin MTT?

My usual strategy is to wait for AA or KK, where because the tables are so maniac I can usually get it all in PF most of the time, and on safe flops as well. I also play AK AQ etc. and limp pairs.

When deep stacked I fold AJo UTG. Is this a leak?

When it gets closer to 20 or less BB in everyone's stack, I play pretty agressive, and I do alot of stealing with 8-12 BB (just like a sit an go)

---

Is this a good strategy? Should I be playing MTT's like I play SNGs (ultra tight, then ultra steal)? I get the feeling like opening up my range is useless because I can usually get most of the money in on my monsters anyway.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Optimal strategy for playing low buyin MTT?

How you play in the first hour or so of a tournament is really a matter of personal preference/skill. Some players like to loosen up and try to build a big stack early. Players that are good at doing this are probably going to have greater success than others, with a high percentage of big cashes, but also more early bust-outs. This involves seeing a lot of flops cheaply with hands that have good implied odds, and playing well postflop.

However, some players find it difficult to play looser and stick to a normal, ABC game. I think the way you're playing (after reading your post) is fine, but your opportunities to acquire a big stack early on are pretty slim. If you think that you cannot play well when loosening up, stick to your regular game.