Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 04:39 AM

Default when calling station = luckbox. When to find greener pastures?

Like almost everyone else, I've got a buddy list full of 30-80 vpip guys. One has handed my ass to me every time I've played a hand with him in. he's 67.4/3.85/.7 over 286 hands. One of the jucier stated players in my DB, I added him to my buddy list, and sought him out when he was online last night and tonight. Couldn't win a hand against him if I had a gun to my head. Lost 90% of the time he was in the hand. Typical donk hands Q4 offsuit that double pairs on the river.

Anyhow, my point is not "wah wah the mean ole calling station beat me" its "how long will you follow or play with an apparantly lose player if he is apparantly favored of the gods?"
IE how much are you prepared to lose?

One side effect of his play style on my "image" at the table was that every hand between us was shown down, so everyone gets a look at what I'm playing. After a very short while, my raises were met with universal folds...to him (I was on his left) Found myself unable to extract any bets at all from the table, and decided that loose as he was... it didn't make up for the fear of the rest of the table. Was about to move to another table when everyone sort of rotated out for new players.

Anyhow, sorry for the ramble. I'm trying to work out various aspects of the game, and it helps to quantify my musings externally in the hopes of stirring discussion. Hopefully this isn't so elementary as to be below the notice of the rest of the "micro" forum.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: when calling station = luckbox. When to find greener pastures?

Til you lose your entire br. (exaggeration =P )

The more luck he gets the looser he will get, its only a matter of time before you upswing against him.

Although make sure you arent tilted at all, or the plan will backfire.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM

Leaving a table because a bad player there has been getting lucky makes no sense. The fact that he has been lucky for the last X number of hands says nothing whatsoever as to whether he will win the next hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:04 AM

I think you know the answer to your main question. I think that you should make sure though that you are playing well even against this bad player. Are you making bad decisions just b/c you think you can "outplay" him? Are you loosening up and getting involved with hands that you normally wouldn't? Just play good poker and you will make money. You make money b/c of mistakes that players like this make, though it does suck when get lucky on you.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 AM

What everyone else said. Repeat after me, "Random events are independent of one another". No matter how many times he's beaten you, he's got just as good (or bad) a chance next time. As long as you play good, solid poker (major point) then you should love to play against this guy. If you're properly bankrolled this guy should remain on your buddy list.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 AM

He calls because he has a piece of the board or a pair in his hand. You know this yet you play marginal stuff against him. Take the hint. If you have marginal stuff, don't try to outplay him. Nothing short of TPTK or overpairs will beat him. If there's a straight or flush on board, be prepared for him to have it. He won't let you know that he does, but that's his style. Adapt to it. It makes maximizing wins hard, but what percentage of hands is he involved with you in?

Don't let him tilt you, he's your buddy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 AM

I leave if I feel my play is getting worse, stay otherwise
Old 09-12-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing short of TPTK or overpairs will beat him. If there's a straight or flush on board, be prepared for him to have it.

[/ QUOTE ]
There really should be a filter to prevent advice like this from being posted.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing short of TPTK or overpairs will beat him. If there's a straight or flush on board, be prepared for him to have it.

[/ QUOTE ]
There really should be a filter to prevent advice like this from being posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking something like a giant cartoon hammer that pops out of your screen and bashes you on the head when you hit the "Sumbit" button. Giant cartoon hammers are definitely +EV.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After a very short while, my raises were met with universal folds...to him (I was on his left) Found myself unable to extract any bets at all from the table, and decided that loose as he was... it didn't make up for the fear of the rest of the table. Was about to move to another table when everyone sort of rotated out for new players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you know, this is pretty much the ideal situation, heads up pot after pot with an extremely loose passive player and in position no less.