Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Late position 32s hand

I know i'm a bit crazy, but i'm trying to play more hands in good posiiton and this seemed like a situation i might be able to pick up a few chips without much trouble...I met some resistance, but then you can't leave your boys out on the street right?

So can I get some feedback on this..mabye on a 1-10 scale with 1 being worse than calling with 43o against 2 all-ins and 10 being better than calling an all-in after you flop quads (which yes i have been lucky enough to do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t3738)
MP2 (t700)
MP3 (t1865)
Hero (t2680)
Button (t2325)
SB (t370)
BB (t1560)
UTG (t1422)
UTG+1 (t4845)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, Button calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls t150.

Turn: (t650) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t450</font>, MP1 calls t450.

River: (t1550) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t750</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: t2300
Old 09-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Late position 32s hand

Two things I don't like here. First, if you're going to play this hand at all, I'd try to do it when there are more limpers ahead of you preflop since your best hope is to flop a monster with great implied odds. Not too sure about your flop and turn play, but I think your bet on the river is a waste of chips. His turn call makes me think he's not going away, and he obviously has you beat.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 AM

Flop preflop. 32s is not considered a suited connector. There are only 2 straights you can make with this and you can easily lose a lot of chips to a higher straight or flush.

Call on the flop. This is a flop that hits a lot of hands and you don't want to bluff at it. Plus your fllush draw may not be good.

Check behind on the turn and take a free card. Check/fold the river.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:11 PM

As far as the more limpers comment, this makes sense if you want to depend on hitting a hand to win the pot. I was looking for one of those situations that goes check, check, check then a bet from late position takes down the pot...or a weak bet that i raise to take down the pot. With more limpers the chances that no one hit a piece of the flop goes way down. If there had been more limpers i think i probably would have folded actually. But this is just from the perspective of how I was approaching the hand, i think in general you are right about wanting more limpers, but for that I would probably want a slightly more legitimate hand like 54s or something.

So I guess the question becomes, should i be looking for sitations like this, or is that a mistake?

As far as the river bet, thats actually the thing I am most interested in. I never used to bluff on the river but thought that was probably a weakness in my game. But i'm not sure i'm picking the best spots...sometimes a flop and a turn call indicate a strong hand and other times they indicate a drawing hand (that would have missed in this case) or a weak hand they want to show down for free. I'm trying to figure out when its most profitable to bluff the river and was experimenting with this (this also allows the chance of not showing my hand down...which seems good).

Thanks for the feeback. I do appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM

It's OK to limp with junk in late position with the idea of maybe stealing and maybe hitting your hand big. Howver, you should not be bluffing big on every hand at every street.

The problem is that this was not a good flop to bluff at. You want to bluff at something like Q73,r. Plus someone had bet at the flop.

When you continue semibluffing and bluffing, there is the problem of a board that is likely to hit someone. You don't give the buyin, but the play in these tends to be loose at this stage and a lot of bluffing is not advisable.

I kind of like the bluff on the river. Villain could have a pair, but also could have a busted straight or flush draw.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Your preflop call was fine in a Daniel Negreanu sort of way, meaning that you're trying to learn how to outplay your opponents postflop. Calls like this from late position will pay for themselves when you pick up small pot after small pot that no one seems particularly interested in.

However, you need to reevaluate things on the flop. This is a flop with two high cards and lots of draw potential, and it's very unlikely no one will be interested in a 5-handed situation. And you already have a bet in front of you.

Under these circumstances, and holding a nice draw, I don't think I want to ry and blow everyone off the hand (although it ended up working). I'd rather call the flop bet and keep the pot small and multiway. On the turn, depending on what comes, I may call or raise as a semibluff, but it's important to take advantage of your position and see how the hand develops.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:41 PM

I forgot about giving the buy-in...it was a 10+1 tourney. Thanks for the advice about the flop texture, that makes a lot of sense, I should have thought about that instead of blindly continuing on with my plan that i thought about preflop.

I totally agree with not every hand on every street, this is definately a deviation from my normal play and thats why i thought it was intersting and wanted some feeback.

The river bluff is growing on me ...but man it hurts when it doesn't work.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input and the idea of semibluff raising the turn, i like that line, i don't think i raise the turn enough...i think its usually the hardest street to play because draws aren't nearly as strong with only one card to come but you don't necessarily want to give up on them completely. Are there any good threads on playing draws on the turn that anyone knows about off hand?