Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM

Default 100NL Virgin\'s First Time - Rockets

How's that for a title?

I'm not moving up to 100NL yet (waiting for the BR to get there), was just bored and figured i'd give it a few hands to see what the play is like. Help me out with this hand and tell me if I'm overplaying my rockets.

I am new at the table and have been sitting for around 5 hands (folding). The hand previous I raised and got no callers. The Villain here was just busted holding KK on the button when his opponent flopped quads and milked him for everything. He was freshly rebought. We both have basically a full buy-in and that's it.

Hero is dealt Ah Ac and raises to $3 from UTG, Villain calls from BB.

($6.50) Flop: 7c Js 7h
Villain checks, Hero bets $5, Villain check-raises to $15, Hero raises to $35, Villain pushes, Hero calls

So... based on those wacky parameters... can I give him credit for a 7 or JJ? Are the players at NL100 crazier than NL50?

NL100 seems not much different than NL50 in terms of play... am i wrong? I've got a few hundred to grow my bankroll before I get here.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: 100NL Virgin\'s First Time - Rockets

nl100 is not that different than nl50

definitely raise to 4 pf, maybe 5

just call that CR on the flop, your raise is bad for several reasons, mainly it gives away the strength of your hand and doesnt take advantage of you being in position

players at nl100 are crazy, youre ahead sometimes but behind a lot, if he goes to get it all in you can probably find a spot to fold if youre not getting a good price.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 PM

From what I've seen the 100NL contains more crazy players, only been playing 100NL for a short time though. As for the hand, you overplayed AA, a mistake you can't afford to make at 100NL.

pf: make it $4

flop: Bet $6, call a raise.

Now the turn play depends on how he played his kings, was he passively giving his stack away or was he agressive?

If he was passive, I think you can bet the turn here and fold to a raise, if he was over-agressive your probably getting stacked here.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 PM

honestly, theyre going to stack off with kk, qq, and aj so much that i wouldnt sweat getting it all in with AA here. youre ahead of a lot. frankly, you did play it poorly but i also lose my stack when im beat here.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, theyre going to stack off with kk, qq, and aj so much that i wouldnt sweat getting it all in with AA here. youre ahead of a lot. frankly, you did play it poorly but i also lose my stack when im beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he played the flop do you think two pair is good here against an unknown?

Obviously hes seen the guy stack off with KK (which i assume went unimproved) but like I mentioned in my post I think he needs to take note in how he played the kings, he could find a very easy fold on the turn here if villain is usually passive.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he played the flop do you think two pair is good here against an unknown?

Obviously hes seen the guy stack off with KK (which i assume went unimproved) but like I mentioned in my post I think he needs to take note in how he played the kings, he could find a very easy fold on the turn here if villain is usually passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

its read and feel dependent. knowing that hero 3bet and got put allin, obvious aces up is not good. thats why i would call the cr and go from there. its hard to say what would have happened, im just saying its not an easy fold against most 100nlers.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:53 PM

Do we want results yet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 PM

The KK hand villain played:

limp on the button, SB raised to $5, villain re-raised to $15, villain bet the 699 flop, villain bet the J turn and pushed to a c/r. Very agg, perhaps not wisely so.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM

Call the flop. Remember, you want to win the max when you're ahead and lose the min when you're behind. He folds a lot of hands to a flop 3-bet that he might lead the turn or check/call with.

As for results...you rivered an A and beat his JJ?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 PM

Umm nope... and the main reason I posted this hand... I thought I smelled a bit of tilt in him after losing to quads.

Villain shows: [ 5d, 6s ]

So uhh.. yeah.. uhh... thats why the question about crazies in 100NL. Lot of people try and blow you off hands this way? I can see raising the flop to try and blow me off overcards but pushing with ziltch?

Yow... I don't really see that at 50NL. Thus, an interesting way to pop my cherry at 100NL.

I'll think about your advice re raising to $4 and calling a c/r instead of revealing my hand. I expect there will be more bluffs at 100NL to blow off overcard c/b's but that should be read dependent... something i'll have when i get there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thoughts? Thank god I didnt fold the rockets even if I botched the flop... CRAAZY.