Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Tournament Strategy Needed - high blinds

In our local cardroom, they run several 2,4, and 10 table tournaments. They have them structured as follow:

Top 1, 2, or 3 move to a final table. Depending on the number of tables in the tournament. The first table starts with 2000 in chips, and the blinds are 100/200. The blinds double every 10 hands, and at level 3 there is an ante of 200 which also doubles every 10 hands.

Since this is a very fast tournament, and if you play to tight that the blinds get you, yet if you plan to loose and make one mistake you could be out of the tournament.

I would like to see how others would approach this type of tournament and what strategies they might use.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Tournament Strategy Needed - high blinds

Personally, I'd not play it as your skill edge relative to the less experienced is minimized.

If I did play it, I imagine I'd wax up my luckbox, and play pretty laggy in position, and not be too tricky.

My advice isn't worth much though ;-)

P
Old 09-08-2005, 11:55 AM

this tourny seems like a crapshoot but i guess just wait for 2 decent cards and push... with your stack starting at 10x the BB, you dont have much to workwith and not much to work with post flop unless you wanan riase half your stack and then push the rest on the flop.. but kinda pointless after the first level..

as the other poster said, you definately loose your skill edge when playing turbo tournaments like this. I guess you could practice, VCpoker has TURBO/SPEED tournaments which levels go up every 2 mins which is pretty much every hand.. if you wanna practice..
Old 09-08-2005, 12:12 PM

man.. 10BBs? personally, I wouldn't play. you are damn near in push or fold in the first ROUND. that's insane.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 PM

Unfortunetly that is how all the local tournaments are structured in my area. In any event, you are correct in that your skill vs. luck is diminished and if you do not catch cards you are pretty much done.

I have noticed that is I try to really play position, with a good bluffing strategy - at the right time, against the right players, coupled with opening up my game a little. I can make it through to the final table.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you do not carry your chips forward to the final table, everyone starts out at 2500 in chips at the final talbe and same structure.

This being the case, I have been practicing by playing single table tournaments, becuase that is really what these multi-tables are.

I will be traveling in a week and where I am going they run 10 table tournaments daily, where you start with 700 in chips, and 15/30 blinds, so I am really excited about playing in those.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see how others would approach this type of tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

www.pokerstars.com

click on download software link and enjoy.