Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Effective AA Lines

Hey - I had only been at the table for a few hands, so I didn't have a meaningful read of villain.

That said, I still feel like I could have...done this better. Can somebody tell me what you would do on each street? Do we go into check-call mode? That would seem to beg a bluff... Hmmm... Thanks in advance.

I suck at aces.

Results after discussion.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($16.90)
Hero ($50.90)
BB ($49)
UTG ($49.50)
MP ($90.94)
CO ($63.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $3.5</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.75</font>, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($14.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, BB calls $5.

Turn: ($34.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2.

River: ($38.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB is all-In [$30], Hero folds.

Final Pot: $73.50
Old 09-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Effective AA Lines

In retrospect, I could have perhaps called the flop bet instead of pussy-raising it. I suppose I was either way ahead or way behind, as they say.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 PM

Your turn bet is a little too small. Maybe try $5 or $6 next time.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 PM

12-15 pf, push if you hate aces. Call flop if you're going to check. Check-raising sucks, so if you don't want to check call, lead for 10.

I don't really like any of these lines, my goal with aces is to get enough money in pf that my opponent didn't have the odds to outflop me. So the way I play it, I raise to $15 pf, if BB calls there's a pot of ~32 and BB's stack is ~34. Push it in, and you'll get a lot of 77-KK to call, maybe AK if he's bad.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:25 PM

Talk about a butchered hand. Let's go through each of your steps.

Action 1: Raise more pre-flop, at least to $2.00 from the SB.
Action 2: Either call BBs raise, or put in a more sizable raise again. Don't mini-re-raise.
Action 3: Bet the flop bet the flop bet the flop, or "maybe" check-call, check mini-raise is the worst possible move.
Action 4: Don't mini-bet the turn. $2 into a $34 pot means absolutely nothing. I probably check-call this turn. Mini-betting is stupid.
Action 5: See Action 4.

The only possible explanation I can see is that you saw Aces, and you went into an epileptic fit and started hitting random buttons on your Party Poker screen.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Will he fold enough drawing hands to the $5 that he won't fold to the $2?

I think I got scared and made a weird bet to try to see a cheap river.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will he fold enough drawing hands to the $5 that he won't fold to the $2?

I think I got scared and made a weird bet to try to see a cheap river.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no drawing hands out there. JT does not bet this flop then call your check mini-raise. I really hope TheWindsorKid was just being sarcastic and pointing out how your turn bet is utterly ridiculous.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:41 PM

I think you played this hand very poorly on all streets. If you are going to 3-bet villain preflop, you have to make a bigger raise than that. On the flop, I am not sure why you feel compelled to check-min-raise, but you may want to consider a different line. I am not sure what you are attempting to accomplish with your turn and river bets. I have no idea if you’re folding the best hand on the river because of the way you played the hand previous streets.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Thank you all for the very much deserved criticism.

I play aces terribly, but I think that feedback will get me to play them better.

Yeah, I gotta bite the bullet if he hit the queen. (Incidentally, he setted up his TT on the river, which virtually every piece of advice I got in this thread would have prevented.)

Thanks for the help, awesomes.

As a side note, I wonder why the hand converter or HH file displays it as "Hero raises to $1.75" pf when I raise it to $2. Yes, I raised one dollar and seventy-five cents above my 25 cent blind, but I didn't raise it to $1.75.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk about a butchered hand. Let's go through each of your steps.

Action 1: Raise more pre-flop, at least to $2.00 from the SB.
Action 2: Either call BBs raise, or put in a more sizable raise again. Don't mini-re-raise.
Action 3: Bet the flop bet the flop bet the flop, or "maybe" check-call, check mini-raise is the worst possible move.
Action 4: Don't mini-bet the turn. $2 into a $34 pot means absolutely nothing. I probably check-call this turn. Mini-betting is stupid.
Action 5: See Action 4.

The only possible explanation I can see is that you saw Aces, and you went into an epileptic fit and started hitting random buttons on your Party Poker screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Pre-flop I think $3.00-$4.00 is best. I don't think there is ever a time in NL where betting less than 1/3 the pot is correct.