Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Protecting a marginal hand in SB

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

I don't normally complete with unsuited 910 but I read something about the value of this hand with three to four players, don't know if its applicable at this level though.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

I wasn't expecting a bet from a late position player but it obviously could have come. Would you check-raise to protect this hand or just lead out and see what happens?

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

The players were pretty standard loose/passive, especially utg+1, I bet cause I thought I had the best hand.

River: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds.

Standard river bet I think, I would have liked to narrow down the field on the flop though. I posted a hand about a week ago where I was in a similar position but with a non-overcard kicker and the consesus was to lead out. I think that argument's even stronger with an overcard kicker, but what's a better strategy for this hand on the flop, to lead out with what might be the best hand or to check-raise and try to knock players out?
Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Protecting a marginal hand in SB

I don't complete here but post-flop is standard. Don't even think about check/raising the flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't even think about check/raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM

Utg+1 showed a j7o for a straight with the ten on the river so I was wondering if a check raise on the flop might have knocked him or players like him out, can you explain why check-raising is wrong here?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 PM

More likely it will be checked around and you will be giving a free card. He called incorrectly all the way with his gutshot as it is, what more do you want? Oh you want to win the pot? Sorry, poker isn't about winning pots it is about making decisions. You went 4 for 4. Congrats. Nice hand.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Perhaps if you had a read that somebody would always bet if checked to in late position a CR would be ok, though personally I would still bet out. You don't want to risk it checking if they're all passive and give infinite odds.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Yeah I'm not pissed I lost the hand, I was trying to figure out if I could have played it better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]