Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 10:50 PM

Default KQ Underrated?

I've had some success with KQ lately. I've won a lot of big pots with people paying me off with hands like Q10 or even something like K5 when we both flop top pair. I think its a very good tactical hand. Its obviously not the kind of hand you want to go all in with preflop unless you're desperate, nor call big raises with. You also need to excercise caution when you do hit the flop that no one has AQ or AK. But its the kind of hand that works really well in a lot of situations. Even if you don't completlely hit the flop, it can have a lot of power. A gutshot and two overcards is not uncommon, that is 10 outs against someone with top pair. A flush draw with KQ suited with two overcards is a monster draw and you'll get the flush draw 11% of the time and usually have overcards unless an ace pops up.

Its the kind of hand that seems to be way overrated or underrated. I've seen guys at the WSOP, in $2500 buy in events reraise all in preflop even though they had plenty of chips. Likewise some tight players never touch the hand unless they are on the button and its folded around to them.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: KQ Underrated?

Really depends on the situation.. it's still a trap hand, you'll have to be able to lay it down sometimes even when you hit. (As in a tight/conservative raises from EP, you call from the blinds with money invested and hit a queen with no aces on the flop.. make a bet at the pot.. get called or raised.. in this scenario the tight player probably has something.. and if you've noticed he only plays really strong hands in EP, there's not much else he could be calling or raising with other than that or an overpair)
Old 09-05-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KQ Underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope. I think it's pretty damn hard to play well.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KQ Underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope. I think it's pretty damn hard to play well.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.. If there was ever a hand I know I'll screw up playing it's KQ
Old 09-05-2005, 11:54 PM

It's a strong hand with shallow money or in limit. With deep money, it is hard to make a big hand with it, so it is hard to win a big pot.