Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Default $5 + .50 stars sngs

at this limit (the lowest on stars) i've talked to some players that win at the 109's and so and they suggested in the first two levels or so to fold AJ utg and even in MP and to simply limp with AQo or AQs obv raise with AK suited or not. But they also suggested limping with pairs in any position up to jacks. But doesnt it make sense to raise with jacks even if you're under the gun because you most likely have the best hand and you dont want to let in A rag or other mediocre holdings to beat you? What do you think about their really tight strategy in the first three levels? How much do you recommend opening up by the time the blinds are 50/100?
help is appreciated
-Mario
Old 09-05-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: $5 + .50 stars sngs

play the 6.5's not the 5.5's
Old 09-05-2005, 03:21 PM

why would you play the turbo's as opposed to the reg ones? do you guys think you can earn more per hour on the turbos or the regulars? and how would you change ur regular strategy to adapt to turbo play?
and can you offer any help on the strategy?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Well the turbos have a better rake vs. prize pool. And you can get more done quicker. as far as strategy changes I'd use the same strategy, I pretty much only play premium hand entill the blinds are 50/100. Then I usually steal based of position or a premium hand, entill the bubble. Hope this helps
Old 09-05-2005, 03:34 PM

its true that in the turbos the rake makes up a smaller % of the entry fee which is good but don't you feel that as the blinds rise it becomes more of a pushfest and thus lowers the edge that a skillful player could apply to the sng?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't you feel that as the blinds rise it becomes more of a pushfest and thus lowers the edge that a skillful player could apply to the sng?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well with the turbos what it comes down too IMO is if you can play well shortstacked. often times there will be 5-6 people left with 4 of them at <10bb. If you can pick your spots with a shortie you'll learn to love the turbos.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM

If u are a winning player Turbos are beneficial because they are 1) Have a higher $/hr 2) Have less postflop decisions thus easier to multi table

As far as your original question is concerned. It is much easier to play ultr tight in the first few stages and still have +ev but you do give up some ev in the process.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:22 PM

If you like playing more postflop hands and longer games the 5.50's are very good. The 6.50's are shorter and can be more profitable in terms of $/hr. I think it comes down to personal preference.

To answer your question, re: JJ early, I like raising most of the time. At these limits you could get callers with Ax, or even Kx or Qx so be careful after the flop.

I think the general reason for playing so tight early is the blinds arent worth much and there will be a lot of different hands playing in most pots which are hard to put people on. Generally early on, if you dont wind up with a monster after the flop, you should be folding in the early part of the game. Rather than bleeding chips early, its better to keep them for when the blinds rise and some of the donks have been knocked out.

At the 50/100 level, open a lot. Look for opportunities to raise unopened pots with many more hands as the blinds grow.