Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Low Limit Spread $1-$5

I have a question for you all, the closest legit cardroom is about 110 miles away from me. Call me a sucker, I'd rather play in the B&M after being spoiled in Phoenix.
The most common game is the low limit, spread $1.00 to $5.00 game (for those unfamiliar, 1 blind of $1.00-or up to $5 if inclined-and it is a spread bet of $1.00 up to $5.00, so as an example if the blind is $1.00, I can raise it a max to $6.00).
Anyway, my question is one about protecting hands, at the low limits a lot of time you are going to get called down anyway, but I am really pretty good about gaining a table image. Lets say I have something like QJ, I am in position with two others. The flop comes K J 2 Rainbow and it is checked to me. I decide that my opponents don't have the K but maybe an Ace so I bet to protect. There is still the chance I get called down to the river, so how much do I bet to gain EV, yet still protect my hand? For example, the pot has $3.00 in it, I can bet $1 up to $5. If I bet $5, do they put me on a buy and call out of fear of the bluff and then they hit the ace, or do I bet $3 and under bet letting them in? I hope my question makes sense....
Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Low Limit Spread $1-$5

Play higher limits.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 PM

Not everyone can play at a higher level. If this is the level he can play at so be it.
At those tables since the people will call you down with anything I would bet the pot and then on the turn and river bet and raise 5 every time. Make it expensive for them
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM

I would bet 5 every time, no matter what. No way anyone can pick up a read then.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Great words! I actually do bet the $5.00 every time for the reasons you state. I am taking great strides to improve my game, so wanted other folks opinions. I appreciate you taking the time.

As far as higher limits, The place I play is a small town in Nevada, called Wendover. When I can get out there, I usually have to grind out a few hours in a 1-5 or 2-5 spread limit until enough players show to either get into a 1/2 or 2/5 NL, or a structured 6/12 Limit (They occasionaly get a 10/20 game going, but it fills up fast).

I need to move back to Phoenix or to Vegas [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Thanks again for your posts.