Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Default ..political correctness in n.h. ...

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]..recent article in u.s.a. today mentions that after a patient filed a complaint; a physician was reprimanded by new hampshire medical board for telling a patient he/she was obese... he was ordered to take a course and recognize he had acted incorrectly as a physician...

now it is important to note that by it's own charter rules; that the new hamshire medical disciplinary board does not evaluate bedside manner and etiquette or matters of alleged rudeness.

they agreed with the pt. that is was inapropriate for a physician to tell a pt. that he/she is obese...

in a separate poll; it was found that 70% of the pediatricians in the u.s.a. will not tell parents that their children are overweight; due to fear of reprisals from parents; which of course include going to another doctor (and losing revenue.)..

now, in case you have not read any health related articles recently; obesity; and/or being overweight is a majot public health problem in the u.s.a: diabetes, hypertension, arthritus in weight-bearing joints; and multiple other medical problems costing society billions of dollars in extra medical care; to say nothing of the negative effect obesity has on the individual himself; (except; of course professional poker players...lol...

you know something; i examined my own style around patients (i am a physician) and had to admit i do not ask about alcohol/drug use as often as i used to; in part because patients have complained; but no sanction by any med board..

so, ya see: it is dangerous that there is such a concern to be politically correct; that professionals are inhibitted from performing their duties appropriately.

jmho

live free or die

lol

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: ..political correctness in n.h. ...

I don't think you're really informing us of anything new by saying that political correctness is rampant and overblown in our country.

What part of SC do you practice in?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i examined my own style around patients (i am a physician)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know something; i examined my own style around patients (i am a physician) and had to admit i do not ask about alcohol/drug use as often as i used to; in part because patients have complained; but no sanction by any med board..

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you could try using some emoticons to dispense your medicial recommendations:

"Sir, your lifestyle is [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]"

"If you continue eating that way, [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]"

"If you continue using drugs, there's no telling what will happen to your liver. In fact, [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]"

jhmo

lololololol rofl

gl

let freedom ring

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:43 PM

I notice you don't supply a link to the real story. Perhaps because the truth of the matter doesn't advance your cause. CNN News Story

In fact, based on what the Doctor actually said, I'm disapointed he received little more than a slap on the wrist.

From the article:
[ QUOTE ]
"Let's face it, if your husband were to die tomorrow, who would want you?" the state Board of Medicine says Dr. Terry Bennett told the overweight patient in June 2004.

"Well, men might want you, but not the types you want to want you. Might even be a black guy," it quoted him as saying, based on the woman's complaint.

[/ QUOTE ]

And...
[ QUOTE ]
Senior Assistant Attorney General Richard Head, who leads the state Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau, said Tuesday the woman complained about the racial remark, not about being lectured.

[/ QUOTE ]
--
Scott
Old 09-02-2005, 04:11 PM

You must be the only physician in the US that can't spell arthritis.

Do they hand out medical licenses in cereal boxes now?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:14 PM

"i examined my own style around patients (i am a physician) and had to admit i do not ask about alcohol/drug use as often as i used to; in part because patients have complained"

Patients complained to you about the questions or complained to the medical board or other authorities?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:20 PM

Bennett previously was cited by the board in 1995 when, as part of a settlement to avoid discipline, he admitted lying on his 1992 and 1993 medical license renewal applications about being denied hospital privileges. He was fined $1,000.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't anyone believe any of this nonsense. With Scalf's grammar, it's obvious he never went beyond high school. And that's a fact.

Besides, I met Scalf the other day when he screwed up my order at Bojangles. I said no mayo genius!

"Welcome to Bojangles may I help you?"
Old 09-02-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: ..political correctness in n.h. ....so

..the fact she said it; well then it must be true.....

yup a patient has never lied about what went on in a session; nor has a patient ever lied about their compliance with treatment or meds; nor about substance abuse

yup

lol

gosh guys; a lynch mob..

lol

but then; i guess i know a lot about them;; in the vision you have of scalf..

lol

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]