Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 03:34 AM

Default 3-handed, 22 in BB

3/6 is my normal game, but I used to play 5/10 and follow some fish there occassionally. This game was particularly good, but just got to 3-handed a few hands ago.

Reads:
Button: Pretty bad. Doesn't seem totally clueless, but goes to far with mediocre holdings, cold-calls, etc.
SB: So far hasn't played a ton of hands. Doesn't 3-bet light, as far as I can tell. He isn't a tough player. Very predictable post flop, and wilts to adversion. Gives up rather easily.

Comments on all streets appreciated. I recall a thread a long time ago about calling two cold with ducks in the BB in a 3-handed game. I think it was either Clarkmeister or Joe Tall. It advocating calling, so that's what I did. I'm not sure if it's right. I felt it couldn't be bad against this lineup.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks (???[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]), Button checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 09-30-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: 3-handed, 22 in BB

i fold pre flop and if you call i still fold flop
Old 09-30-2005, 03:53 AM

id dump it pf, this is an incredibly hard hand to play postflop unless u hit a set.

THis is a good board for 22. I like the flop raise but u must bet the turn imo. You can buy position and Im checking behind on the river unless i hit a set or str8.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
id dump it pf, this is an incredibly hard hand to play postflop unless u hit a set.

THis is a good board for 22. I like the flop raise but u must bet the turn imo. You can buy position and Im checking behind on the river unless i hit a set or str8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it hard post-flop? My plan was to fold any Ace high, King high, or two broadway board. A board like the one I got I was raising and hoping to push button out. Then I'd get to showdown cheaply, or have an easy fold if I got 3-bet or got led into or check-raised on the turn. Like I said, SB was extremely predictable.

When button cold-called, I froze up. I had a hard time putting him on a hand I could beat. I know I said he was bad and cold-calls, but that was usually pre-flop. I was really lost on the turn.

I think you're right and betting is essential there. I have to invest one more BB just to try and get to showdown and not give any free cards.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:19 AM

calling pf is -EV
Old 09-30-2005, 04:44 AM

I just did some quick messing around with the odds calculator on CardPlayer. Unless one of you opponents has 32o, then I can't find any hands that you have +EV against. Almost any 4 cards have you at -EV it seems, so that would indicate a fold. I guess you might get some fold equity, but these opponents sound like they go to the river a lot, so that is debunkt too.

The way you played it, I'd probably bet on the turn. You could buy position and a free showdown probably. You also have a few semibluff outs. I wouldn't put more than one bet in on the expensive streets in any situation, so I think that your best bet lies with the turn.

P.S. OK, I found one. The only way you have +EV preflop is if they share some common cards.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:53 AM

Don't focus on ev+, focus on implied odds post flop when our hero hits the set.

But its an easy fold preflop.