Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Home heads-up tourney...your thoughts on structure

Starts with 5,000 chips. Blinds are scheduled to be 25-50; 50-100; 100-200; 200-400; 300-600; 600-1200. Each level to be 10 minutes long. Corresponding rounds will have double the chips, and each level will doubles as well.

I'm trying to make four rounds finish in four hours. Do you think this a good/fair structure? Should the levels be more than 10 minutes?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Home heads-up tourney...your thoughts on structure

[ QUOTE ]
Starts with 5,000 chips. Blinds are scheduled to be 25-50; 50-100; 100-200; 200-400; 300-600; 600-1200. Each level to be 10 minutes long. Corresponding rounds will have double the chips, and each level will doubles as well.

I'm trying to make four rounds finish in four hours. Do you think this a good/fair structure? Should the levels be more than 10 minutes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you mean by four rounds...four separate freezeouts? You're trying to run four tourneys in four hours?

If so you're on the right track. I estimate its highly unlikely you'll go past an hour and a half unless you have like 100 people playing in your tourney. The blinds will be at 1200-2400 at an hour and 9600-19,200 at an hour and half. If you have a hundred players there are 500,000 chips in play so 25 BB's still on the table so it could still be going.

If you have like twenty people though, no way it gets to an hour and 20 minutes.

On the other hand, why not just have a lottery. Same difference and saves time.

--Zetack
Old 08-31-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you mean by four rounds...four separate freezeouts? You're trying to run four tourneys in four hours?

If so you're on the right track. I estimate its highly unlikely you'll go past an hour and a half unless you have like 100 people playing in your tourney.

If you have like twenty people though, no way it gets to an hour and 20 minutes.

On the other hand, why not just have a lottery. Same difference and saves time.--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

Zetakc, read more carefully- the title tells you it's a HEADS-UP tourney. Your comments look a bit foolish, no?

OP- it's not a bad structure, given your evident time constraints. Depending on how passive your players are, I wouldn't expect any problems with your time limits.

Your structure moves a bit fast for my taste (even with 2 decks going, you aren't going to get much more than 10-12 hands in at each level, probably, so Zetach's lottery comment isn't as far-fetched as would seem) but who am I to say?

I have a heads-up championship series of matches (starting blinds 220:1) that lasted 2 hands, 7 hands and the third match made it into the second round (20 minute rounds). We were both pretty aggressive players, however.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zetakc, read more carefully- the title tells you it's a HEADS-UP tourney. Your comments look a bit foolish, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I do tend to expect to see all the pertinent information in the body. Probably a flaw of mine, but it doesn't rise up to bite me much.

Foolish comments? Nah, just not particularly on point.

Makes it easy though. At an hour if any match goes that long, there will be just over 4 BB's on the table. So it won't go more than an hour. Probably an unusual match that makes it an hour.

Hard to say whether you could slow it down much and make sure you get four matches done in four hours. With 15 minute blinds you'll still have 16 BB's on the table at an hour. Maybe you can count of folks not having the patience or discipline to still be going at that point, but you wouldn't be able to count on the blinds ending each round at an hour.

I guess if some rounds ran shorter (which seems likley to me) you could go 15 minutes levels, or if 4 hours weren't a completely hard deadline and you could afford to let the thing go say 4.5 hours, I would definitely try fifteen minute blinds.

--Zetack
Old 08-31-2005, 10:37 AM

Yikes, fast. You might want to throw in a 150/300 level and a 400/800 level. If that drags for too long, you might want to toss the 25/50 level, but that probably won't be necessary. As long as you have a bracket and start up the second- and third-round matches as soon as both winners are available, I think you'll be able to get everything in on time.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 PM

not a fair structue. make rounds 20 mins. add a 75/150 and 150/300

if you advance to next round do you carry over the chips? so round 2 will be 10k vs 10k?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:15 PM

Yes. Players will carry over their chips to the following round.