Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 02:06 AM

Default flop raise and call??

I suspect that MP2 is a LAG if not maniac but I havent' seen a showdown yet. Preflop raise seems crazy to me now but I have absolutely no theory to hang my hat on when it comes to short handed. I'm just playing everything by feel. If anyone can point me to a source that I can study so I can at least have a foundation, I'd be very grateful. Please evaluate all streets.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>. MP1 calls. MP2 calls
Hero raises. Blinds fold. Limpers call

$21 Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP folds. (no check just straight fold. MP2 (suspected maniac) bets. Hero raises. MP2 re-raises. Hero calls.

$ 37 Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 bets. Hero folds.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: flop raise and call??

Uhm, fold the flop. I don't know why you are raising when you are behind here like, ALWAYS. Especially if you know villain is a LAG leaning towards maniac this is MAJOR spewage. I have no comprehension of what you tried, so if you were trying something, please explain. FWIW, tricky play is best left at the B&amp;M 40/80 game.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Just fold the flop and move on.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 AM

I do not understand the preflop raise in the slightest.

This is the link that really helped me get started:

6max Beginners Links
Old 09-01-2005, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the links

FWIW in my head was this mantra about 6 max, if you're gonna play - raise (also thought that at least i might get blinds out). I wanted to play 78o in position against these guys (they were playing a lot of hands) so I raised

flop raise -- I thought MP2 was a LAG but everyone was folding to him. I didn't yet know if he'd lay down after his bluffs were challenge so i tried to c. (he doesn't) i figured that at least i have a draw

Again, thanx for the links
Old 09-01-2005, 02:52 AM

I just much this pre flop.

SGS
Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 AM

None of your logic makes any sense. Why would you want to play a dominated hand vs limpers? Why would you want to play 87o AT ALL? This makes me think you have never played poker before. There is just about no situation where 87o is a desirable hand, not even HU is this a "good" hand at all.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:19 AM

87o has weak high card strength and no suitedness, but it does have connectedness. 1/3 with suitedness or connectedness is usually bad vs two people where the pot is often small. This is because you are looking for good implied odds, and the small pot, the minimum amount of potential for someone to pay you off if you hit, and the rarity of you hitting all combine to make for a bad hand.