Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Very unusual play from me...

UTG is 30/22 and pretty tricky. BB is your average 42/7/1 LP.

I was close to folding on the flop, but thought about it and figured that UTG was tricky enough to try to push me off of overcards and gain an advantage against BB. I also figured that if I reraised, I could make BB fold a 6 or a weak pair.

So after that thought process I really liked my flop play, but I pussied out on the turn since i've never really been in a situation like that before. I think I should have bet/folded the turn...

So was the flop play reckless? Should I have bet the turn? Or was going for the 1-bet showdown the right move?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB
Old 08-31-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Very unusual play from me...

I think you are spewing on the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 PM

Facing a donkbet from a LP and then a raise from a tricky player who is good enough to put LP on a decent hand? You have a backdoor flush and two overcards against most likely medium-high PP or trips...this is a fold on the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also figured that if I reraised, I could make BB fold a 6 or a weak pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to semibluff a LP player who has shown strength on the flop is probably a leak (regardless of whether he folded to a 3-bet or not).
Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 PM

yea...probably was just lucky that it worked out. No more trickiness from me.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:02 PM

I actually don't mind your play on the flop at all. BB can bet that flop with many hands that aren't trips and he will release a lot of weak hands after your 3 bet. UTG could be raising there with a dominated overcards. Even if UTG has 99 or 77, your equity is still around 25-30% with two cards to come and you only put 3 SB into a 12.4 SB pot. Granted, BB folding was key. Is that 1 number Total Aggression or Postflop? It it's total and he is 1 with 42/7 then I like your play even more.

If you bet the turn I don't think you can fold to a check raise because you'll be getting about 11-1 on your call. Therefore, I like a check because you want to avoid putting in 2 BB on the turn. Call a river bet if he makes it.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM

the 1 is his aggression, yeah.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 PM

yeah but is it postflop or total? If it's total, then this guy is actually agressive postflop since his aggression factor preflop is probably around 0.2. This would counter the other advice in this thread which says to fold mainly because the flop bettor is a passive player.