Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Lots of questions...

I'll try and be as brief as possible.
Started playing 10 months ago at microlimits (0,02/0,04!)and worked myself up to playing winningly at 0,5/1 fairly quickly. Cant afford to have a really big bankroll as my poker is one of my major earnings every month and subsequently I have to withdraw a large share of my bank roll at the end of every month.
Play 3 tables at the same time.
Stats: (0,5/1 - 6 max) 4,5BB/100 - 22% VPIP - PF raise 14,8%, (1/2 - 6 max) 2,9BB/100 - 21,5% VPIP - PF raise 15,1 %.
I play at least 600 hands/day - usually more than a 1000. Have a rake back deal that gives me an additional $500-600 monthly.
I read frequently in Theory of Poker, Inside the Poker Mind, Small Stakes Hold'em and Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players.

Now to the questions;

1 - I dont take enough notes on players which I should do (I think). However, at these microlimits level that I am playing is note taking really worth the time? The amount of time I will spend researching players in my PT (have about 12 000 players logged) and making notes will obviously stop me from playing as many hands as I normally do. Thoughts on this...?

2 - I am probably playing what you people call ABC-poker (allthough I believe I am more aggressive and not the weaktight kind of player...). How far up in limits do you think ABC-poker is sustainable?

3 - How much more tougher is 3/6 (6 max) than 1/2 (6 max)?

4 - What is a decent winrate on 0,5/1 (6 max) and 1/2 (6 max)?

5 - I know that everybody will say that I should STOP multitabling to improve my win rate which is fair enough but I cant afford to NOT multitable for the moment so what other advice can you give me to improve my win rate?

6 - How many people are frequent vistors on 2plus2? Is there a list of all members? I hate playing against other members...feels a bit like loosing/winning against your girl friend which is never really satisfactory either way....

Thank you for absolutely brilliant members...
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Lots of questions...

This would proabbly get you better responses in the Headsup and Shorthanded forum, which is all about 6Max. I'll try to answer a few though:

1) Not really worth it at Party. Just too darn many players to make it worthwhile, and you won't see very many people more than once. If you find yourself running into the same player a lot, it might be worth taking a note or two on his play.

2) 22/15 and ABC will probably get you to 5/10 6Max easily enough. It's definitely good enough for 3/6, and you'll probably still be a slight winner at 5/10.

3) Not very much, as far as I can tell, but I've barely played in the 3/6. The consensus in HUSH is that it's pretty soft.

4) You're towards the high end of good winrates in those games.

5) Set aside a few hours a week to single-table, and definitely take some single-table shots at 3/6. Once you're comfortable there move to multitabling it. Read the HUSH forum religiously.

6) You'll never be completely sure you're not playing against a 2+2er. A lot of people here keep their Party usernames semisecret.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Lots of questions...

Party 25PL player here: As for making notes, I wouldn't worry about it for every player you come across (most are what John Vorhaus described as "interchangeable weak-tight nits").
But, if a player sits at your table and really donates (not necessarily to you), I'd certainly make a little note about how they did it (e.g. "Called a pot-size bet ($18!!)) on the river with just top pair mediocre kicker (A5!)") and add them to my buddy list.

Better still, get PokerTracker and let it do the most part of your note-taking (I use it, but still make comments like the one above the old-fashioned way)