Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 10:50 AM

Default JJ with check raise on scary board, lots of action

early in tourney.

I thought with the huge raise by the chk/raiser he had to have a 4 or TT, maybe an overpair, but this was not really on my mind. This seemed like an easy fold given he checked and then saw all this action.

Thoughts on my play on all streets?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t3190)
Button (t2940)
SB (t2390)
BB (t1470)
UTG (t2230)
UTG+1 (t2280)
Hero (t1430)
MP2 (t3110)
MP3 (t1710)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t160</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t160, SB calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t140, UTG+1 calls t140.

Flop: (t820) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t60</font>, UTG+1 calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t380</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t2230</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t3550

This guy showed QQ after the hand. Did he play it poorly by raising so much? I thought he could have gotten all my chips on this hand.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: JJ with check raise on scary board, lots of action

Nice laydown.

His push is dubious but not quite as idiotic as I thought at first. You've pinpointed the big problem with it: He will only get action from someone with a better hand.

In his defense, he might push you off KK or AA, if you were holding a better PP. So his belligerence has a little value. Whether that's +EV or -EV we can argue.

Just as a thought experiment, if he called the flop action with QQ and then checked a blank on the turn, how would you bet it from there, holding JJ, KK or AA? Any difference? At that point, the two of you are really playing poker.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In his defense, he might push you off KK or AA, if you were holding a better PP. So his belligerence has a little value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding AA or KK to this action would be terrible.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:11 PM

would a pair of 10s play this any differently? he didn't reraise preflop so AA and KK seemed unlikely, even QQ to be honest.

There are so many loose players that would call with A4 that it would not be unreasonable to see that.

I agree that it would be very tough to lay down AA or KK here, but having only JJ it really felt like I was beat here.

Later I had TT and raised to 3BB he reraised to 5BB then flop came 586 and went all in which would have put me all in as well. Since he did this same thing with a pretty powerful hand I laid down again, and sure enough he showed KK.