Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 05:42 PM

Default considering switching from NL to Limit

hey guys, I play alot on the 25nl 9player tables, and I've been recently talking to alot of people who say that limit is the way to go to find the fish. Im wondering if yall have any experience with the switch, and if so, if you could point out any difficulties yall had, or maybe a good strategy to start with.

thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: considering switching from NL to Limit

1) Get "Small Stakes Holdem" by Ed Miller. You'll get valuable strategies from this book specially suited to lower limit games.

2) Slowplay less, way less, almost never. You can't make up money lost from missed bets.

3) Don't bluff. Fish can't be driven out if they have bottom pair.

4) Get used to more bad beats and suckouts. It'll happen more because of the limited betting.

I transitioned from NL to Limit in late Jan/early Feb. There is an adjustment period where you will be thinking, "If this was no limit I'd ..."

5) This is limit. Get used to it. Nostalgia will distract you from the proper action. There are different strategies that you will employ. That is what you will learn.

6) While you are learning, play on the lower limit or nano limit tables.

edit: I forgot to wish you luck.

Good Luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:11 PM

Hey WetDog (even though I hate you more than anyone else who plays poker) what advice would you give to someone moving from limit to NL?

Just reverse your points?

-D
Old 08-30-2005, 08:29 PM

Why do you hate WetDog? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I would suggest that you get hold of Harrinton on Hold'Em Vols 1 and 2. There is also Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker by Stewart Reuben & Bob Ciaffone, which is very good.

Amongst other things, you will have to get used to increasing the size of your bets, so that you may bet up to the size of the pot if you have a decent hand to prevent your opponent from having decent odds to draw out on you.

The other thing which people should realise, is that although NL is an easier game to play well technically than limit, it is potentially very dangerous for the inexperienced player.

Whilst a good player will find it easier to take money from fish at NL than at limit, unless you understand the principles of the game well you could end up losing your bankroll very quickly.