Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 AM

Default I\'m confused: SB vs BB battles... No hands - theorish

I’m not feeling confident about my play from the blinds anymore. I usually play 10handed PL at a site where players are generally very loose and weak preflop which makes blind play relatively easy (e.g. it’ll rarely be folded to SB). I have not read any of the recommended NL books (they are in the mail though…) and I’m sure there must be some discussion on blind play, I’m looking forward to read this. I’ve learned NL poker by reading 2+2 and by playing thousands of hands.

I’m now taking a stab at $200 NL 6 max and seems to be making decisions from the blinds all the time. These 2 player hands seem to get the better of me. We rarely discuss these small simple hands in this forum…

Ok I know I should post specific hands but I’m looking for standard plays here.

Scenario A:
Folded to me in the SB, the only read on the BB is VPIP 30 / PFR 13. Which hands do I complete, miniraise or raise to 3x the big blind? The answer is probably that this is read dependant. I understand this but what would your standard play be?

I generally try to play these hands as aggressive as possible, mini-raising many hands and betting ¾ on almost all flops whether I hit or not. When called and I didn’t hit I generally slowdown immediately. This is where I feel I get bluffed off many hands.

I feel that I’m basically answering my own question here and that is that (1) it’s all read dependant and (2) I need to vary my play more.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: I\'m confused: SB vs BB battles... No hands - theorish

Anyone?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: I\'m confused: SB vs BB battles... No hands - theorish

I think you will find the discussion in the HU thread I posted yesterday interesting. There are three heads up hands in there against the same good villain and some interesting discussion. The general answer is that you must mix it up heads up. Against a completely unknown, I basically raise premium hands, limp/call speculative hands and fold all others. Postflop I just play as best I can depending on his hand range and likelihood of folding. I definitely don't go crazy trying to put people to the test in these hands because I just find very little trust in these situations and people will call down overbets with middle pair even at the 200s. Just make a hand and bet for value same as every other hand. Don't be afraid to give up a bit easier when you are OOP and to try to make the other guy give it up when you are in position. But don't take that too far.