FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 PM

Default fantasy football help

our draft is thursday and i need some help. here are the details:

11 teams
i draft seventh

espn scoring

i have never done a live draft and know little about the fantasy stuff overall

general advice? should i just make depth charts and do my best?

help
Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: fantasy football help

I'm sure you've surmised this by now, but I think the safest way to go is to take the top RB available in each of the first 2 rounds, then go after WRs.

Wait on a QB until the later rounds.

No need to get fancy, fantasy football drafts are all about figuring out the marginal benefit each player offers you over another player of the same position that you'll get later. (VORP)
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 PM

I usually go
1st pick RB
2n RB
3rd WR
4th WR /TE *
5th QB/wr/TE *
6th qb/WR
7th If you dont have a QB at this point pick up QB
8/9/10 Kicker/top 3 defense/utility player.

beyond this point is where you have to look for sleepers. Look for Rookies ready to make an impact or players coming off injuries the year before. Look for a player like braylond edwards who will get alot of playing time. If you have a sleeper pick try to make a rough estimate where he will go. Oh yeah advice for first timers...dont try to pick up a player thinking you are going to get a quality trade for him later on...In my experience its really hard to make quality trades in a league and you will be stuck with 3 QB's with no WRs

*Try to pick up a TE by the 5th round. Usually this posistion makes or breaks your team. If you cant find a top 5 TE you might be screwed. (gonzales, gates, witten, shockey, heap)
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you've surmised this by now, but I think the safest way to go is to take the top RB available in each of the first 2 rounds, then go after WRs.

Wait on a QB until the later rounds.

No need to get fancy, fantasy football drafts are all about figuring out the marginal benefit each player offers you over another player of the same position that you'll get later. (VORP)

[/ QUOTE ]

what about dante and manning?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about dante and manning?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you decide to go QB in the first round make sure you have RB's 3 / 4 In one of my drafts i got lucky and picked up manning at 10 Jamal Lewis 11 Javon walker 29th Stephen Jackson 30th. fritzgerald and todd heap. This was in a 10 man league...In a 12 man league i would go RB RB
Old 08-31-2005, 08:52 PM

The problem with picking up a QB in early is that it leaves you scrambling for RB help later in the draft, when it is almost impossible to find a decent RB, but relatively easy to find an average fantasy QB.

Suppose you have the 1st pick and you have narrowed your choice to Peyton or LaDanian. What the people who take Peyton aren't realizing is that it is possible to get 70-80% or more of Peyton's production in the later rounds with guys like Hasselbeck/Plummer/Palmer/Delhomme/Brady. But the later round RB you get if you take Peyton 1st will most likely not get 40% of LaDanians production.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with picking up a QB in early is that it leaves you scrambling for RB help later in the draft, when it is almost impossible to find a decent RB, but relatively easy to find an average fantasy QB.

Suppose you have the 1st pick and you have narrowed your choice to Peyton or LaDanian. What the people who take Peyton aren't realizing is that it is possible to get 70-80% or more of Peyton's production in the later rounds with guys like Hasselbeck/Plummer/Palmer/Delhomme/Brady. But the later round RB you get if you take Peyton 1st will most likely not get 40% of LaDanians production.

[/ QUOTE ]

makes perfect sense
Old 08-31-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind however that as logical as this sounds, its not necessarily correct. For instance, last year a guy in my draft last year picked up up Peyton in 11th or 12th position, which I thought was a bad move and then a quality running back at 13 or 14...He RAN AWAY with the title because Peyton was so consistently dominant. He also had good 3rd and 4th rounders to help him, however. The safest thing to do is to pick RBs but its not necessarily the best.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 PM

It's the good 3rd/4th round picks that are the variable here. If some solid, but lower ranked RB's like Stephen Jackson or Lamont Jordan get back around you then you look like a genius, but the risk is that you might end up with Fred Taylor/Kevan Barlow/Bettis as your second RB.

Your friend was correct to pick Peyton there because by that time the marginal value of the running back he would have gotten over the lower level RB that he did get was less than the marginal value of Peyton over the lower level QB that he didn't have to take.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 PM

Whats the problem with Fred Taylor?