Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 7
2. Won’t Get Fooled Again :: The Who 56 50.91%
10. You Shook Me All Night :: AC/DC 54 49.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Ed Miller\'s small stack no-limit strategy

Have people tried this approach? How have you done? Are opponents recognizing what you are doing? I would think they could really limit the hands you play by raising pre-flop before your turn or re-raising after your bet. If they re-raise after you bet, you would fold many hands after putting some money into the pot.

Do brick and mortar cardrooms allow you to pull some money off the table so you could stay in the short stack situation even if you win some hands to be a medium or big stack?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller\'s small stack no-limit strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Have people tried this approach? How have you done? Are opponents recognizing what you are doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

So far so good -- occasionally I get myself in trouble by overplaying hands that the system would say to fold. Opponents at the limits I play, both online and at Foxwoods $1-2, are usually not very observant.

[ QUOTE ]
I would think they could really limit the hands you play by raising pre-flop before your turn or re-raising after your bet. If they re-raise after you bet, you would fold many hands after putting some money into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would fold the lower range of what you would have opened with and reraise the rest all-in. (The precise boundary between the two depends on your stack size, but for the sake of argument let's say you reraise TT or better and AK and fold anything less.) Unless you're giving off tells and your opponent is good at reading them, they're not going to know if you're open-raising with 99 or AA. Sometimes you'll "donate" a small amount to the reraiser by folding. Sometimes the reraiser will double you up by getting you all-in with his badly dominated hand. It's hard to see how making his reraising standards lax is going to benefit him, because half the time you're going to push all-in and be a huge favorite.

Of course, if you observe that your opponent is reraising every time, i.e. with any two cards, then you can lower your standards for reraising him all in. If he would reraise with junk like J2s and you opened with 99, by all means go ahead and push -- you're a huge favorite. You're under no obligation to stick to Miller's system when it's obvious people are playing so exaggeratedly in response; just get all-in with anything you'd have open-raised with in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
Do brick and mortar cardrooms allow you to pull some money off the table so you could stay in the short stack situation even if you win some hands to be a medium or big stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. "Ratholing" is not permitted. Foxwoods will let you take money off if you change tables. Some on the B&M forum were adamant that this is wrong, but they own the room so they can make up whatever rules they want.

Your poll didn't make any sense -- both responses said "help".
Old 08-28-2005, 03:22 PM

I voted for help.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:57 PM

its kinda fun to do. makes the game very simple. you can play profitable (low) by being retarded. life is good
Old 08-28-2005, 07:41 PM

I've probably got s strange sense of humour, but this thread gave me the best laugh in ages.

"I voted for help"

Me too.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 PM

i messed up putting the thread together and accidently made it a poll
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've probably got s strange sense of humour, but this thread gave me the best laugh in ages.

"I voted for help"

Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best part was the "You can choose only one" warning!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 AM

I'm shocked at how many idiots voted for option one, when option two is clearly the only reasonable one.