Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Situation quiz

NL tournament- on the bubble.

I) You are in the cutoff with a big pair. T50-100 are blinds. 6 people limp. You have T700, others are short-stacked at your table. Should you raise all-in?

a) Does the big pair (AA-JJ) matter, as in changing your action?
b) Would X amount of expected calls make you fold?
c) What would you do with AK, AQ, AJ?

II) Same as above, but someone raised to T300 and got 2 callers in front. Would you raise all-in?
a) Would you want the blinds in or out?
Old 04-11-2003, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Situation quiz

1a) I would raise all-in with all of the big pairs.

1b) If expected a bunch of calls, I might just call with JJ.

1c) I would raise all-in with AK. Most likely with AQ. AJ would be a tougher decision and would depend on what I thought of the players.

2) Just to be clear, you mean there are 2 limpers and then a raise to 300? Thats what I am assuming. If that is the case then I am re-raising all-in with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK. AQ and AJ would depend on opponents.

2a) With AA/KK, let everyone call. With QQ/JJ/AK/AQ/AJ or other pairs I would rather have 1 or 0 callers.

Ken Poklitar
Old 04-11-2003, 03:54 PM

I'm assuming some of your opponents have enough to bust you out here.

a) I would consider limping to see the flop, but may raise all in with AA or KK. I would also consider whether I could buy the button in this spot.

b) The number of callers determines whether I raise or limp from the cut-off.

c) see a.

II a) I would want the blinds out but would be very hesitent to call following a raise and two calls. AA and KK are playable, but everything else I would consider folding. Whether to raise all in at this point or on the flop is the question.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:57 PM

On the bubble, huh?

1. Raise all-in with AA/KK/QQ/AK. Else I fold (note that if I was far from the money, I would call with JJ/TT; AJ and AQ are in the muck in any case.

2. Pretty much the same as the last answer, but I muck AK, since I'm likely to be up against at least 1 pair.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:51 PM

1. I'm assuming that I'll get 1 or 2 callers if I move all-in. That's ideal if I'm holding AA/KK, and okay for QQ. I don't like playing JJ against more than 1 opponent, so that one is a tougher choice. I'd probably limp with JJ and get ready to dump it without a good flop, same with AK/AQ. AJ is going straight into the muck.

2. Here I'm going to assume there are some other real hands, so I'd play much tighter. All-in with AA/KK, but even QQ is a bit iffy now. JJ and lower is getting folded here faster than you can say "peppercorn". Definitely want the blinds out, the fewer callers the better. Even if I have AA, I wouldn't mind one bit if everyone folded to my all-in.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:58 AM

T700, others are short-stacked at your table. Should you raise all-in?
I) With blinds at 50-100, this scenario doesn't make much sense, as anyone with less than T400 would either fold or move in here. This quiz is so unrealistic, that there is no meaningful answer as your opponents obviously don't act rational so you cannot make any assumption on their holdings.
II) Again, this makes no sense unless the callers are all-in. There's no meaningful answer unless you give exact stack-sizes. If all of them are all-in for T300, I'd muck anything except AA, KK and AK here.