Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Default $6/$12 Hand at the Tropicana (Check-raised with AQo)

6/12 at the Trop in AC. I was thinking about this hand for a while after it happened. Regardless of the results here, which I won't show for now, is this a hand I should save 2 BBs and get away from? Or do you call down with this?

Table has been very loose-passive for the most part except for one Rock and one TAG who weren't involved in this hand. MP1 here has fit the table image and has been pretty loose-passive as well.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

Pre-flop:
3 limps, SB completes, Hero raises, 4 calls.

Flop ($60.00): A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, <font color="red">MP1 calls</font>, 3 folds.

Turn ($72.00): [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, <font color="red">MP1 raises</font>, Hero thinks and calls.

River ($120.00): [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: $6/$12 Hand at the Tropicana (Check-raised with AQo)

Turn is a pretty scary card. If opponent is loose-passive and non-tricky, I might be inclined to fold. Either way, I think it is important not to think about your decision to much if you are going to fold, might give someone the idea to take a shot at you when the board is scary.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, I think it is important not to think about your decision to much if you are going to fold, might give someone the idea to take a shot at you when the board is scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't the type of table that was doing any sort of opponent modelling, don't worry.

As for your advice, that's exactly how I felt both during and the hours after the hand. It seemed to me that folding was the obvious play here as he was representing a set of 9s and I am nearly drawing dead if that's the case. Anyway, ego took over and I called down.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Unless you have a great read, and that means over a good amount of hands, I'm calling down.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have a great read, and that means over a good amount of hands, I'm calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we always assume LAG with no read? This seems detrimental to me. While I had only seen about 30-40 hands at this point, I would still call my read a "good" one. I feel it only takes about this many hands at a live Limit game to classify a player type.

BTW, keep in mind here that I have represented strength both PF and on the flop. A flop of AKx looks as scary to anyone else as it does to me. For him to raise here, I'm almost positive he has a monster. But I could be wrong. Any other thoughts?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

unless you've raised a few times out of the BB before, I think folding is appropriate. players tend to project their raising standards on others, and a lot of live players will give you too much credit when you raise from the blinds. these players tend not to bluff, and I don't see him raising an A because AA, KK, and AK all hit the flop pretty hard. I think this is a fairly simple fold against a passive player. just don't agonize over it. toss it into the muck as if you have queens. don't let them think you can fold
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 PM

We don't always assume they're LAG with no read, they just have to be LAG or getting frisky a fraction of the time to make calling correct in a pot this large. We're getting about 10 to 2, or 5 to 1 on a calldown, so ignoring the river card improving us we only need to be good 1 time in 6 or less than 17%. If we give ourselves 2 outs if behind we only need to be good less than 13% of the time to calldown.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just don't agonize over it. toss it into the muck as if you have queens. Don't let them think you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't stress the importance of this enough when I play live. I'll start using this for now on, thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a pretty scary card. If opponent is loose-passive and non-tricky, I might be inclined to fold. Either way, I think it is important not to think about your decision to much if you are going to fold, might give someone the idea to take a shot at you when the board is scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Trop 6/12 game is about as tricky as a maze with no walls, and a bit looser than Paris Hilton. There are maybe 1 or 2 tricky and unpredictable players capable of taking a shot on a hand like this. Folding here is a no-brainer against the vast majority of players in that game.