Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 11
3. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)/A Day In The Life :: The Beatles 65 59.09%
6. Piano Man :: Billy Joel 45 40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Life is defined by...

Well, I was getting all philosophical today. Don't worry, it ties back to psychology (besides, the Trainwreck scares me). I started wondering is my life best defined by the many (countless?) small decisions I have made - stairs vs elavator, hold the door open for someone vs walk on, that sort of thing? Or is it best defined by the few large decisions I have made?

Obviously both impact your life, but which has the bigger effect on defining it? If you had to say "my life is the product of many small decisions on my part" or "my life is the product of a few large decisions on my part" which would you select.

The I am best at which kind of poker should be pretty easy to answer. Obviously I'm looking to see if people's perspective on life tends to match the type of poker they play, is opposite, or if there is no clear relationship and I'm just trying to be clever.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Life is defined by...

you forgot to include the option of predetermination, not that this is an option i hold probable. this question is a common philosophical dilemna. i wouldnt really call it psychology though.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:00 PM

True, I did forget predetermination, but predeterminists would play whatever kind of poker they were destined to play.

I was curious if people's preferred style of poker matched their outlook on life.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:27 AM

Interesting post, I hope you get a large sample of votes.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:55 AM

He, he,
I really don't mean to knock your post or your poll (which I think is interesting), but have you considered that "large decissions" mostly can be analyzed as distributed over time and contexts?

Like: I live in a city and a country very different from where I grew up, and I spend my time doing very different things from what I and everybody else 10 years ago expected I would be doing today. Big changes, all based on decissions I have made, but I can't point to one "large decission" that brought me here ... more like a number of smaller decissions made in different contexts (eg: family, profession, love, leasure) and guided by the interests I have in each context as well as the scope of possibilities they offer me.

What I'm trying to say: You don't make decission - neither "small" or "large" - in a vacuum, and - at least seen from one realm - there is no real dicotomy between "small" and "large" decissions.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 AM

You make good points. I agree with your basic points (but am simplifying things for a poll).

There's not necessarily a big decision moment where you make a giant decision in one scene in anyone's life outside Hollywood, but I can spot a few large changes in my life that can be described as decisions (even if they were the result of several smaller factors). For example, I decided to come to Canada this year. Obviously I didn't just wake up and decide "hey, I should go to Canada", but over a period of time, due to a number of factors, I did decide to go to Canada (which is a big decision if you live in NZ).

While I can sometimes spot the cumulative result of "small" decisions (the extra pounds I've picked up this summer by making a lot of unhealthy decisions) it is much harder to point at any one "decision" that makes a difference.

Big decisions vs small decisions, the distinction might be arbitrary, but it can be made I think.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:26 AM

It seems you made quite a few small decisions to change your life that led you to making a rather large decision.

I guess the question there is, "Was the big decision a change in lifestyle or was it a method of converting your now skewed life to the new standard?"
Old 08-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Stop ruining my artificially constructed dichotomy! Grr. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wasn't originally looking at results, more moral stuff.

Let's say you do a million small acts of kindness (opening doors and stuff) and ten large acts of brutality (like chopping someone's arm off or something) each one hundred thousand times worse than each small act of kindness. Would you say you had a basically kind life or a basically cruel one (nuetral is not an option, the imaginary crocodile headed afterlife judge god type of guy wants an answer)
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM

A cost-benefit analysis is needed and values need to be assigned for the deeds.

Example: Opening a door +1 point. Chopping an arm off -50 points.

The crocodile headed guy can then do the math, or promote me to be the all-powerful arbitor, judge, jury, and ... well, if he's busy anyway.

Re-Edit: I didn't notice in your example you're setting the math to equal out. I think in that case, the 10 bad deeds you do are so proportionately more significant than the small good deeds you do, and by sheer order of magnitude, you are a cruel, cruel man.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:31 PM

So you're a life is defined by a few big decisions / events person?