Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 AM

Default 4-handed 10-20 PL LAG hand

I've been playing ridiculously loose for about 20 minutes, taking down big pots without showing. My opponents have responded by playing tighter. One seems to be pretty good and worries me a bit.

Then this hand comes down:

Hero (4200, UTG) raises to 70 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain (covers, SB) calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Pot ~160

SB checks, Hero bets 160, SB raises to 375.

I considered checking behind, but reasoned that Villain would have to fold overcards, and have a hard time pushing an Ace or medium overpair, so even if he calls I have a reasonably cheap showdown. He would have reraised a big pair preflop - done this a few times. The raise confused me, but I decided with this crappy board, he might well have air or an Ace. This is one of the least dangerous boards to pull a bluff on a LAG. So I called, planning to either give up or take it away on the turn, depending on the card and his bet.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Pot ~910

Villain bets 600. Hero ?

Whoa, outs! Call, raise or fold? All three make sense to me. I'm not sure what to make of his hand, but if he has a set it isn't Jacks. A raise commits me, leaving a grand behind. Villain has two cards. Could be a set, could be a meduim pair, could even be AJ. Or nothing. This is a relatively safe spot to make a huge bet, setting up another huge bet with the nuts later (I already started turning my aggression down a notch). But it's also a cheap opportunity to call and scoop a big pot if I hit. Even if I chicken out and check/call if I hit two pair or baby trips, the pot is already big enough to justify a call, and if he's bluffing he might fire another barrel. But he could also have a set, putting me in an awkward position even if I do hit. A higher flush? If I consider any two a possibility on the flop, I have to take that into account.

So.. What Do I Do?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: 4-handed 10-20 PL LAG hand

i think there is a very good chance he has flopped a really big hand here... A5/22/33/44. assuming this is the party game, most ppl response to extremely fast players is to sit there and wait for a huge hand, hoping the LAG will play back/double them up. obviously, i dont know who youre opponent is, and it seems you have gotten the impression he is willing to gamble with you a bit, so who knows.
id call the turn.... if you make you hand on the end, bet/raise full pot. if make two pair/trips you are gonna need to employ some finesse, but i wouldnt love it and id likely lay it down to a big bet...
i wouldnt fold here... making your hand and showing this baby down is gonna be fantastic for your image. not only will ppl be afraid to playback when they see that loose flop call, but your starting is real gnarly... you do have effing nine-duece here.
raising full pot (and effectively committing) looks tempting, but this looks pretty bad because of the extremely awkward stack sizes... if he is huge, you are really punishing yourself by committing to play this big pot.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 AM

calling looks right here. If he does have a big hand and you make your flush he is probably getting stacked, so the implied odds are there.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM

That 2/3 pot bet on the turn looks like it wants a raise against a LAG.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 PM

i dont think that just calling is an option at all. Folding or raising is the best bet. more then likely you are a 2 to 1 dog to win the hand figuring he has a middle pair like 88 or 77, which is what i would put him on. if he tripped up his jacks on the turn you are in rough shape, (not sure why you would raise utg with a hand like that anyways, regaurdless how the table was, or your image was) i would go for a check raise or a check fold. if you just call and miss you give him a chance to bet you off the hand if he is bluffing and calling with bottom pair would be a touch call and pretty much impossible unless you had a good read on the player. with his bet the pot is over 1500, and would be nice to take down with a check raise all in. seems like you have a deep stack compared to the rest of the table and a large bet would probably take the pot down right there, and if not you have 14 outs to make your hand considering he doesnt have trips. you also say you think he might be a good player, i think a good player would lay down a pretty good hand with a big bet on a check raise situation, you represented strength from the start might as well keep your aggressive image, and run your table.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling looks right here. If he does have a big hand and you make your flush he is probably getting stacked, so the implied odds are there.

[/ QUOTE ]