Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Can\'t change gears in 2nd half

I am a beginner having a REAL problem late in tournaments. I get to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through and then I make some STUPID mistake trying to be too aggressive (usually) or I play too passively and watch my chip stack dwindle.

Last night I raised preflop with QJo - I know...I know...I got called by one player - and then the board came up K94 and he checked and I went ALL IN on my gutshot straight draw - needless to say I was called by KQo and lost.

I know that perhaps I should have bet, but not ALL IN!!!

This is an area where I need some serious help. I have been focusing on my limit game - and I think that is definitely helping me play better EARLY in the tournaments - but I can't seem to change gears effectively - I either get too aggressive (usually) or too passive and see my stack dwindle down.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Can\'t change gears in 2nd half

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I raised preflop with QJo - I know...I know...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you know then don't do it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I found that reading HoH helped my game more than anything. Late tournament play is probably the number one problem I had in my game. My first 30 tournies I was always out at the bubble. One thing I always did, before reading on 2+2 or any books was I tried to just get ITM. Then, I realized that I'd play 3 hours and make 8$ on a 20$ buy in tourney. Blind stealing, reading players, etc are concepts that are imperative to know if you want to survive late in MTT's.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last night I raised preflop with QJo - I know...I know...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you know then don't do it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be enshrined in the 10 Commandments of Poker.

7 - "If you know, then don't do it"
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 AM

lol.. But the more I read and studied poker, the more I realized how awful the hand is. I made this move about 90% of the time with TJ, QJ, KJ, etc because I knew I was going to hit broadway every single time.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:02 AM

This is a tough problem to coach, since it depends on so many factors.

What is your table image? While aggression can be a good thing, if you're a bit (or very) loose you have to be able to get away from the flop if it misses you. If you're getting pushed off a lot of flops because of it, tighten up your starting hands. If you're a rock, you can probably loosen up a little and get away with more steals and aggressive bluffs on the flop. There is no variance in image, don't get stuck in a rut thinking it will improve and "work" in the long run. You have to be flexible... let your image flow and adapt to the way your opponents are reacting to you. It is just as important to recognize your own image, and how it is being perceived, than to know your opponents.

What is your stack size and position related to the table and to the money? Don't get too aggressive just because you have a large stack. You've got the time to pick your hands and make them pay off. Don't be afraid to get a little frisky, but don't overdo it. With a small stack you have to be more aggressive. Don't loosen up too much, but you've got to take some chances if you want to make your goal (ITM, FT, 1st, whatever.) This is especially true once the antes kick in, as your stack will dwindle even faster. Don't get reckless either. It's much better to walk away from a really bad flop and hope for a better place to make your stand than push all your chips in a -EV situation just because you'll be left with one round of blinds... 2BBs is better than none [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What is your table like? Pay close attention to your opponents, and pick your targets carefully. Steal from the weak/tight and give little to the aggressive. Let the loose aggressives play into you when you've got a strong hand, push on the rocks when the flops get scary. You've made it this far, you know the drill [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Position, position, position. Table position and standings position. Play more aggressively in later positions and stay solid in early. Don't risk it all at the bubble unless the table will let you get away with it.

Take control of the hand. Don't let your opponents control the betting (unless you want them to) and always be aware of your post-flop position when deciding to get involved in a hand.

If they smell blood or you're losing control, get away from the hand. Folding a bad hand or to bad odds isn't weak. On the contrary, they will respect your aggression even more when they know (or think) you are choosing the best hands to follow through.

Don't show weakness unless you're trapping or prepared to fold. Ever.

"I want you on that ball like a fat kid on a cupcake."
Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 AM

Thank you - this is all good advice.

Honestly, I think my problem is twofold

1) I lose focus
2) I overadjust

If my stack is small, I tighten up, waiting for a good hand, but then will go all in after a flop that gives me a marginal hand

If my stack is big, I'll take a reckless chance trying to steal the pot, thinking that my stack will intimidate people

I just need to keep my head in the game and assess my situation better.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:27 AM

i noticed in your post that you did not state any stack sizes and made a completely definitive statement about whether or not it was correct to raise with QJ.

what im seeing is someone who has the wrong mental approach to the late stages of tournments. hand values are completely changed when the blinds get to be a significant portion of the average stack. if you have healthy chips, you should be making frequent blind steals with marginal hands when you're first in the pot. you should look for players who seem to be folding into the money and attack them.
there is nothing that isnt worth raising if you think the chances of everyone folding are high enough. this is of paramount importance to success in mtt's. you cant simply sit around waiting for AA, you'll lose too much of your stack.
there is, of course, a significant difference between aggressive blind stealing and complete chip spewing.