Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 08:41 PM

Default party poker and new cpu

i recently got a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a WUXGA screen that supports a 1920X1200 screen resolution. when i open party or any of the skins, there seems to be some empty black area in all the windows. is there anyway to get rid of this?!?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: party poker and new cpu

Interesting avatar you have there.

Anyway.. what part of the windows are black? Could be a video driver issue or something weird like the windows theme setup.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM

its about an inch on the bottom and an inch on the right side. i am thinking that it might be that the 1920X1200 has a 16:9 screen ratio and that most other screens have a 4:3 ratio...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 AM

Assuming you have an ATI Mobility X300, I'd try this driver first here if it's not already up to date.

The screen resolution shouldn't matter. I run at the same resolution on a UXGA. Just a 8600 laptop with Mobility 9600. If you wanted to test it, you can hook up a monitor or lcd to the vga port in back of your laptop, setting up a dual monitor setup and then moving the party poker windows into the 2nd screen.

I *think* Party Poker uses DirectDraw for the cards and player names, but I can't remember for certain. So you can try downloading the most recent DirectX from WindowsUpdate.

Sometimes overheating can cause graphic glitches, but this doesn't sound like overheating.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 AM

I KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS!!

My laptop runs at 1900x1200, and I had those same black bars. However, I still played for YEARS with those fcking things. It was awful. I described it to Party, and they suggested I lower my (beautiful, beautiful) screen to 800x600. I told them that wasn't an option.

So, I finally found the answer, but it seems really, really unfair that I just TELL you. Go play with those friggin' bars for a few years, and then read the answer below.

Results in white below: <font color="white">Go to the display options, and then the "settings" tab. Hit the "advanced" button. You likely need to change the DPI setting. You're probably on "large 120dpi" now. Chance it to "normal 96dpi". I have no idea why this should matter, but it fixed it for me.</font>

This "play with the wrong sized window for years" plan is on the honor system, but I trust you to follow-through.
-Sam
Old 08-10-2005, 01:15 AM

Sam,

You are my savior! Everything looks perfect..... uh, i mean, i'm not going to read the white text for 2 years and not be able to use PV.....

lol, thanks for the help man...

-Ryan
Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 PM

Sam, you are awesome, thank you so much for this post.

P.S. Although this post was 2 weeks ago, I didn't see it then, so to all those who claim that searching is fruitless so they'll just waste everyone's time with the same questions again, I don't believe you.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:04 AM

SamIAm has provided the answer that will solve the MOST PROBABLE cause of this problem. However, I still have this ugly black border around only the lobby on one of my WinXP machines. This particular machine is running a "non-official" version of WinXP purchased overseas [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. So, my assumption is that there may be another cause for this symptom that requires an as yet unknown cure.

G'luck all,
LVGamb00ler