Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Default first timer

I've been playing live $6/12 and $1/3nl with success for over 6 months live and decided to give online a try. I have a mac and was wondering what the best site is for mac. I was wondering if any of the poker software like poker tracker work on mac or is all of it only for PC. SHould my play differ in online from live. Is it okay for me to begin multitabling or should i wait until I am used to the whole thing.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: first timer

Why do people still use macs? It's so inconvenient...

In regards to poker, everyone says online is a lot tougher than live, so I think you should test out the waters first by playing the beginners limits.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it okay for me to begin multitabling or should i wait until I am used to the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice would be to place one table until you get comfortable with the software and pace. It might take you one hour or one week, everyone is different. Then add a table at a time until you get comfortable.

I 5-table 100NL without too much difficulty. Since I have ADD [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], playing more tables helps me work toward playing TAG.

Strategy-wise, on the whole, you will find on-line players a little better than B&M players. For instance, I typically play 1/2 NL 300max in AC, while on the Internet I mainly stick to the $100 NL tables. I find the B&M players are marginally worse than the on-line players.

That is not to say there are not bad players on line. There are many, there are just more good players as well. Get Pokertracker to sort them out.

So I guess my advice is to start a lower level than you think, since you didn't specific a bankroll I am hesitant to give advice.

You are on target wanting to buy Pokertracker. Its payback can be measured in days. If you can afford it, do not start playing without it.

Can't help with your Mac questions [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 04:09 PM

The only sites that are truely mac compatible are PokerRoom.com and Pacific Poker.

You could use virtual pc to try to run other sites and pokertracker. I have heard of a couple people doing this but it was just in passing and don't truly know how well it has worked for them.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:09 PM

I have owned like 10 Mac computers in my lifetime and I love them all, but seriously, for poker you need to buy a PC for like $300-500 which pays for itself in just the first month or two in signup bonuses. based on your B&M play you clearly have the bankroll to invest.

based on the limits you've beaten live, you can probably start multitabling online at $1/2 LHE and 50c/$1 NL and see how it goes from there. these games will still be relatively soft but perhaps not as many "complete idiots" as you'd see at a B&M table. aggressive play is respected a little more as well, so expect to be able to push more people out of pots before the river, as opposed to a live game where 3-4 people call two bets at showdown.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only sites that are truely mac compatible are PokerRoom.com and Pacific Poker.

You could use virtual pc to try to run other sites and pokertracker. I have heard of a couple people doing this but it was just in passing and don't truly know how well it has worked for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerRoom's Java thing runs great, IMO. Pacific not so much. And if you choose Pacific, the multitabling question is moot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Rumor is that a few sites are working on Mac clients now (IIRC, Full Tilt is one).

I use Virtual PC, and wouldn't recommend it unless you have a fast Mac (mine's a dual G5) and the time to tweak VPC and Windows a lot (In fact, don't get the XP version).

As it is, I can 3-table at Party skins with only a tiny bit of headache. UB, Full Tilt and PokerStars run great too. Cryptologic skins (Caribbean Sun, etc.) are useless for some reason though.

Pokertracker runs just okay - when I did the initial import (~4000 hands) it kept locking up, though, and I had to keep restarting it to get all the hands in. PokerAce HUD works great.

I'll probably get a cheap Winders laptop to use for poker after my BR gets up there. Or maybe an Intel Mac when the first laptops come out next year - it may be possible to run Windows native, and Apple has said they won't do anything to specifically cripple that ability.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:04 PM

after reading around here and thinking about it for a while i decided that i'm probably gonna buy in for 200-300 and pokerroom and play .50/1.00 and the $25 max nl tables and see how everything works. Since i think I am probably at a big disadvantage without using poker tracker and other software I'll probably buy a cheap pc to use for an online computer. Thanks for the help and I'll continue to post more questions on here
Old 08-25-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since i think I am probably at a big disadvantage without using poker tracker and other software I'll probably buy a cheap pc to use for an online computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look and ask around. The guys around here can sniff out a bargain like a Buick full of grandmas on garage sale day.

Good luck!