Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Default I get to be a B&M pro for a few weeks....

... not by choice.

I am having eye surgery on Wednesday and one of the conditions of it is that I am not allowed to use the computer at all the first week and very, very little the second week.

Well, this presents a problem from someone who makes their living playing internet poker. Being out of a job for 2 weeks sucks big time.

So I am planning to make up part of the income by playing at Bay 101 8 hours a day for 5 days a week. I'll be in the $20/40 & $40/80 games starting on September 3rd.

I know I probably can't make up the $150/hr+ that I can make at $10/20 6max, but at least I will be pulling in something during my recovery time. It will be interesting to see how I feel by the end of it about B&M play.

If anyone wants to stop by and laugh at the twenty something kid with sunglasses (yes, I'll be wearing them since I will be recovering from eye surgery, it will be my Oakley's though) who is putting eye drops in his eyes every 2 hours and popping craploads of Vicodin, feel free to say hi.

Oh and to make things worse, I may have to make trips down to LA to finalize the house I'm going to be renting with 3 other 2+2ers and may possibly be moving into during this time. Fun times..
Old 08-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: I get to be a B&M pro for a few weeks....

[ QUOTE ]
with 3 other 2+2ers and may possibly be moving into during this time. Fun times..

[/ QUOTE ]
Which ones? Where are you guys lviing?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 PM

following surgery you might just want to rest.

don't force yourself to play too much if you are tired and/or feeling like total crap.

even with the sunglasses I can imagine that the flourescent lighting of a poker-room might not sit too well with your eyes either.

If things are blurry then don't push it. Stay home and rest and close your eyes for a little while.

My Dad had lasik surgery (assuming this might be what you are having). He loved the results...but getting there following the surgery was a bit of a pain for him.

Otherwise, good luck with your quest.
When I was in Vegas for the WSOP for 2+ weeks I decided to be more of a B&M pro just because I was there.
It was okay...but some people are so annoying (and/or unbathed) that I wouldn't want to do it permanently.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:05 PM

It's not lasik and I won't push it if I'm feeling out of it or tired, but there isn't really any problem with me playing full time as far as the surgery is concerned.

I can do pretty much anything but be on the computer... why, I do not understand.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with 3 other 2+2ers and may possibly be moving into during this time. Fun times..

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PM sent.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 PM

What surgery are you getting? When people use computers, studies have shown that they blink less and their eyes dry out faster. I've never told any of my patients that they specifically couldn't use a computer after surgery though.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:12 PM

If you're really making $150/hour and being out of work for 2 weeks is an issue, something is seriously wrong. You should have 6 months of living expenses saved up, minimum. Two weeks should not be an issue if you're saving properly, especially given that it's for your health.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 PM

why dont you spend your 2 weeks in some exotic location instead of playing poker since you cant make as much playing live anyway? +ev.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What surgery are you getting? When people use computers, studies have shown that they blink less and their eyes dry out faster. I've never told any of my patients that they specifically couldn't use a computer after surgery though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post make be blink uncrontrollably for about five seconds, and my eyes are still watering.