Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 PM

Default A tougher river for Jeff W

10 handed Party 20/40.

CO posts a blind. 2 folds and I open 6h 6d UTG+2, folds to the CO who 3-bets. He is 24.6/13.5/1.68 over 15K hands so quite aggressive and is probably opening his hand range here because he knows I am. He WTSD is 35. Folds to me and I contemplate capping but just call. HU and 7.5 SBs.

Flop is 2s 7h Kd. I check, he bets, and I peel.

Turn is the 4s. Check/check.

River is the 9s. I bet for value.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: A tougher river for Jeff W

What is Jeff capable of 3-betting with? I would assume hands such as AK, AQs, middle pocket pairs and up, a reomte possibly of KQs. His turn check doesn't smell like he holds an K or a middle pocket pair... AQ is still possible, as well as any smaller pocket pair. Because the river is the third spade your bet is an insurance bet, not for value. I think if the Villain calls (and I don't expect him to that often) you are probably beat. Perhaps his goal was to induce you to bet the river? If so, he succeeded eh?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 PM

Sorry, villain wasn't Jeff. He just wanted a tougher value bet situation than my last hand.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, villain wasn't Jeff. He just wanted a tougher value bet situation than my last hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that does change the scenario a tiny bit, but it doesn't deviate that much from my post. Smells like he is calling any river bet with most of his possible holdings if there was no spade. With the spade hitting the river I think you just won the hand assuming he will now fold. Hence I don't think we can call the river a value bet but I love it none the less.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Post a tough one next time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

He usually has Ace high here. Sure, he may have an underplayed QQ-88, a flush draw that took a free card or a hand like QJ, but most of the time he has Ace high.

You are committed to put 1 bet in on the river and you will make more by value betting than by checking to induce a bluff.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Another one for Jeff W.

3 handed Party 20/40.

We've been playing 3-handed for about 10 orbits. I've raised maybe 6 out of the last 8 hands so, surprise surprise, I probably have a LAG image. The table was 10 handed but we are the leftovers. The Button had adjusted very poorly at first (folding too much, coldcalling a bit) but now seems to be getting the right mix preflop. SB is a flat out LAG and is making the game great. For those who don't like to play short, situations like this--which happen frequently late at night in B&M games and routinely at the Party 15 and bigger--should make you want to get very good at shorthanded play.

Anyway, Button raises, SB folds, I 3-bet in the BB with Ac Qh, Button caps, I call.

HU for 8.5 SBs. Flop is 8c 9h 3d. I check, button bets, I checkraise, button calls.

HU to the turn for 6.25 BBs. Turn is the Td. I bet, button calls.

River is the 3h and I bet for value.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Another one for Jeff W.

That is so [censored] marginal it makes my head spin.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River is the 3h and I bet for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] U, this is why.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 AM

I'm not sure what's going on, but I think CO will bet PP under K that beat you, so you'll have to call those anyhoo. Also, he may call w/ A-high.

Edit: Maybe if he knows who you are, then he knows you're capable of making bets without the best hand, so he'll call.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 AM

Are there really enough no pair hands that call here to make it a good value bet? I can't imaging AK/AQ folding. AJ...3-handed...if you're seen as a LAG sure. Other no pair Ax hands...by "the right mix preflop" are these even in the capping range? Are you thinking K-high calls ever? Also, would you expect to get more action on the flop/turn from any pair?

The original hand you gave I like the bet. As TT said it could be something like QQ/JJ checking the turn after you call a K-high flop planning to call the river but those hands should and very likely would value bet the river if checked to again anyway and AQ/AJ very likely call.