Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Alright... so I\'m losing a ton of money in the SB

Often I feel like I can complete the SB and see if the flop hits me. Then folding or playing accordingly. But my stats seem to be telling me that I am getting a small piece of the flop, dumping some money in then either folding before the river, losing at the showdown or or only winning a small pot with the Flop bet.

T9o - W%=0, BB/Hand =(18.50), VP$IP=100%, PFR=0%, RFI=0%
KJs - W%=0, BB/Hand =(17.89), VP$IP=100%, PFR=33%, RFI=0%
AQo - W%=20, BB/Hand=(12.68), VP$IP=100%, PFR=80%, RFI=0%
...and so on.

Granted, this sample is only 500 hands from the SB, but overall from this position I am...
VP$IP=64.08, CCPF%=0, Win%=14.75, BB Won/Hand = (0.62), SD%=28, Won@SD=34.92, PFR=9.12, RFI=2.4

Clearly, there is a problem here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Alright... so I\'m losing a ton of money in the SB

Try to get you VP$IP from SB down to 30-ish, and things are likely to look much better.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:55 PM

You're right... everything else is in the low-mid twenties...

Ugh...

Welp... Problem Identified. Gonna just stop ompleting that SB and fold more... bet ya just that alone will fix quite a bit.

(ick... how gross... I'm even completing the blind with trash like 42o and 52o .. thankfully I'm at least folding those after the flop)
Old 08-24-2005, 03:03 PM

Yup. Just tighten WAY up in the SB. It's called the worst position for a reason. What you give up by your bad position postflop severely outweighs the slight discount you get preflop. I'm folding hands like k7s in the SB.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, there is a problem here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Granted, this sample is only 500 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

you've already touched on the problem. your sample size isn't credible. if i were you i'd take a look at the top 10 losing hands plus the top 10 winning hands and a random sample of 20 other hands then analyze each one to see if there are gaps in your decision making process before you come to conclusions. either that or just fold your sb every time.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 PM

I don't think it is "credible" in a statistical sense, but I also don't think it's too small to do some general analysis with. 500 in the SB, that's ~5,000 hands. (4789 actually)

I've done some analysis of the top hands (that's sort of where my mentioning of "seemed to get a piece of the flop, then bet and end up folding" came from)

If every other position is ~20% VP$IP and SB is at 64%, I think the first place to start is definitely folding more. By playing those weak hands, I am putting myself in position (or out of position?) for some tough decision making. (read: Acting first with no information and bad cards)

After that, yes, I agree, then I need to really start analyzing the decisions that I am making.