Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 AM

Default My Point About Quadrillions of Stars

Every once in a while someone makes reference to a point that I and others make about why God would bother creating all those stars along with quasars, black holes. etc, most of which are so far away from us that we can't see them or be affected by them.

I just wanted to make sure that people understand that this point does little to make the existence of God less likely and I have never said otherwise. It only makes it less likely that God created the universe specifically for one species, during one tiny sliver of time during the universe's existence, on one specific planet, in one specific solar system, of one specific star in one specific galaxy.

It seems to me that most religions have made [censored] sapiens living on the third planet out of nine, of a very average star, in an average galaxy, during a two million year period, 14 billion years after the big bang, the main focus of God's attention. And if they don't, I think most have backed off of this stance very recently. In any case I don't use this argument to refute any religion that admits that God may be just as interested in aliens, self aware possibly man made, computers, a freakishly intelligent chimpanzee, and who knows what else, as he is with this one species.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: My Point About Quadrillions of Stars

Funny that [censored] sapiens gets censored but homosapiens is ok. I wonder what the software does with [censored]-sapiens.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny that [censored] sapiens gets censored but homosapiens is ok. I wonder what the software does with [censored]-sapiens.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

gay sapiens?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Ho<font color="black">mo </font> Sapiens.

Mack
Old 08-24-2005, 04:55 AM

invigorating discussion as ever guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get b<font color="blue">a</font><font color="green">nn</font><font color="red">ed</font> for that kind of thing you know.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-24-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get b<font color="blue">a</font><font color="green">nn</font><font color="red">ed</font> for that kind of thing you know.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I thought it would be okay as it wasn't a profanity, depends who the mod is though I guess. lol

Regards Mack
Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that most religions have made [censored] sapiens ... the main focus of God's attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. The point of religion is to recast the world so it makes sense and our lives / actions have meaning. This has nothing to do with logic.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every once in a while someone makes reference to a point that I and others make about why God would bother creating all those stars along with quasars, black holes. etc, most of which are so far away from us that we can't see them or be affected by them.

I just wanted to make sure that people understand that this point does little to make the existence of God less likely and I have never said otherwise. It only makes it less likely that God created the universe specifically for one species, during one tiny sliver of time during the universe's existence, on one specific planet, in one specific solar system, of one specific star in one specific galaxy.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, all the more reason to believe we are utterly alone in the universe. [Which of course we are.]
Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that most religions have made [censored] sapiens living on the third planet out of nine, of a very average star, in an average galaxy, during a two million year period, 14 billion years after the big bang, the main focus of God's attention. And if they don't, I think most have backed off of this stance very recently. In any case I don't use this argument to refute any religion that admits that God may be just as interested in aliens, self aware possibly man made, computers, a freakishly intelligent chimpanzee, and who knows what else, as he is with this one species.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I haven't read "A Brief History of Time" I often ponder if the universe is nothing more than the machine that gives Earth it's distinct power.

For instance, all the planets stars etc. coexist just to keep life on Earth possible.

Me personally, I don't believe there is anything else out there in our universe, but I believe it is more likely that life exists in other dimensions and in those dimensions they have their own universe etc.

I think God could have well created other life but if it is the Judeo-Christian God it definately seems he wants to keep any other projects seperate from this one.

Or maybe this God is only God of this universe, and that in others there is another God, perhaps one per universe or dimension, but who is not concerned with us because we are not in his/her jurisdiction?

Or maybe it is only the one God that spans multiple universes and dimensions and any life that exist on them is his work.

Who knows?