Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2003, 06:06 PM

Default chatting during hand

I've recently started playing online again (.50-1.00 at Party). I was thinking that if you said "Sorry man, I have the nuts" before betting out the river, it might make people fold more. Or it might make them call more. I have no idea which.

BUT I would be pretty surprised if it didn't influence people's play in some consistent way (obviously it wouldn't be perfect, but it might give you an edge you could exploit). Does anybody have any experience saying this kind of thing?

And of course, it could be saying anything, or even something like betting immediately when you have the chance vs. thinking for 10 seconds.

(I'm curious especially about people's online experience where you don't have to worry about differences in demenor, tone of voice, looks, etc. coming into play).

Yeehaw.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Re: chatting during hand

No experience here other than casual play but I'd say more often than not you'll be called - strong means weak. Assuming each time you do it people forget, next time they might remember the outcome and adjust. You may wanna check out the "I have AA!" thread, similar situation.

Timing manipulations are harder to use effectively online due to latency/networking issues and tend to follow the same pattern. Fast actions usually imply strength in the spirit of - "wow this is an easy decision", IMHO.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:23 PM

I think you can beat these games simply by playing well and u should concentrate on your skills rather than ur angling.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2003, 12:15 AM

Check out a recent thread started by me in the Small Stakes forum. Just for kicks I announced that I had AA preflop and still got plenty of action during the hand. I don't think this is something that should be done all the time, but I don't see any problem doing it once in a while just for kicks.

-- Homer
Old 04-03-2003, 05:01 AM

Poker should have a Miranda Warning: Everything you say can be used against you. Poker is essentially a game of information mangement. When you chat, you give away information, and some of it will be used against you.

Of course, sometimes you can mislead people by saying this or that, but most people grossly overestimate their ability to "act." When you give away information, you have no idea at all of who will "hear" it, how they will interpret it, or how they will use it. A remark that you think got you an extra bet on the river (which you might have gotten anyway) can cause a long term loss of 20 or 50 or 100 bets.

If you chat about your cards, you will CERTAINLY give away valuable information. Chatting to create a favorable atmosphere is fine.

Unless you have the gift of an Amarillo Slim, chatting about your cards is STUPID, period, end of story.

Don't do it.

Al
Old 04-03-2003, 01:19 PM

Default Hello,Homer! I occasionally like to chat about...

my hand to entertain myself. A few weeks ago ,I was heads-up against a young intelligent "Helmuth look-alike" in stud.
On 7th Str.,he showed me his hand after I fired 1BB into the
pot with 3 diamonds showing.
He had 1 pair of A's.
The pot was laying him about 4 to 1 to make the call.
I told him that he has me beat with his A's. However,if he doesn't call the bet,I will NOT show him my cards.
He thought,and thought,and thought,Hmmm.
He said "OK,I'll call".
I showed him my flush and said : "I lied". [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
BUT I did this ONLY because he is a good player and NOT a contributor to my pot. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
If he were a weak/poor player,I would NOT have attempted to aggravate him. I would have just kept my mouth shut and not be a smart ass.
I did NOT want him at my table. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] SittingBull