Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Hold\'em Excellence - Lou Krieger

Has anyone read this book, and if so, how did you like it? I play mostly .50/1, 1/2 and small SNG's. I have read SSH, TOP, ITH, HOH1, GSIH and Hold'em Poker. Is this book worth buying or is it just a beginners book? Although I will still read it if its a semi-beginners book I just want to make sure the information contained in it is accurate, like the 2+2 books. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Hold\'em Excellence - Lou Krieger

I remember the starting hand guidelines to be solid for a beginner, but post-flop there's not really much of substance in either of the HE-E books. with all the books you've already read, you will find little to nothing of value in the Krieger books.

you should be reasonably successful already by following the 2+2 titles you have listed in your OP. what do your PT stats say?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Well, I have just seriously started playing this summer and have read all those books in a short amount of time which I know is a bad idea. I have started to re read and study SSH and it has helped my game a lot. I am just getting over a huge downswing and feeling a lot better about my play. Currently I am doing 1.87 BB/100 at Party .50/1 over 18k hands.(I know thats nothing great but I'm looking to improve which is why I'm here).
Old 08-26-2005, 05:28 PM

It has an excellent discussion on playing AK. I think it is a very good and underrated book.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:44 PM

I didn't get a whole lot out of HEE after reading most of the books you mentioned. I appreciated the AK discussion quite a bit. It is a unique treatment, but it only amounts to like one article's worth of reading. I think it's a great first book, but given the books you've read, it would only be a rehash. And the treatment isn't especially unique so I don't think you need it. MHEE, however does have some good stuff in it. It's got more advanced topics, has a great section on card probabilities and deals a lot with more psychological issues of the game.

I kept MHEE and gave the other book to my dad because with what I've read and playing every day, it has nothing in it that I don't already know. I found the writing and presentation pretty good (thoughless technically impressive than Sklansky/Malmuth and less well presented than Harrington) and Lou also just seems like a generally really good guy. He's your friendly uncle.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read SSH, TOP, ITH, HOH1, GSIH and Hold'em Poker. Is this book worth buying?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently I am doing 1.87 BB/100 at Party .50/1 over 18k hands.(I know thats nothing great but I'm looking to improve which is why I'm here).

[/ QUOTE ]

This rate is neither great nor not-great; the sample size is simply way to small. You could be anywhere from a small loser to something more along the lines of 3-4 BB/hour winner. Being dedicated to this, like it seems you are, makes me lean more toward the winning side. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that those numbers do not necessarily mean you are playing sub-optimal.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Currently I am doing 1.87 BB/100 at Party .50/1 over 18k hands.(I know thats nothing great but I'm looking to improve which is why I'm here).

[/ QUOTE ]

This rate is neither great nor not-great; the sample size is simply way to small. You could be anywhere from a small loser to something more along the lines of 3-4 BB/hour winner. Being dedicated to this, like it seems you are, makes me lean more toward the winning side. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that those numbers do not necessarily mean you are playing sub-optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is 18K hands too small a sample to draw any conclusion?

In the old days, it would take someone 600 hours of live play to accumulate 18,000 hands. Or 75 straight days at 8 hours a day.

I think you can draw some conclusions at 18K hands.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Well, in my last 35,000 hands I had a 14,000 hand break even streak, followed by a 21,000 hand streak of winning over 4 BB an hour. What conclusions would you draw if you looked at my stats at 18,000? That I am barely a winner? What if you looked at my last 18,000? I am killing the game?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in my last 35,000 hands I had a 14,000 hand break even streak, followed by a 21,000 hand streak of winning over 4 BB an hour. What conclusions would you draw if you looked at my stats at 18,000? That I am barely a winner? What if you looked at my last 18,000? I am killing the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

There could be a lot of conclusions to draw, but more info is needed