Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Game Theory

Hey Im new to this Forum after a week or so of reading through it. Im a recreational player who just loves to study the game. I am interested in game theory but have yet to figure out how people "dominate opponents with game theory" as Chris Ferguson and Paul Phillips supposedly do. The only game theory i've encountered is just common sense decision making such as two players calling and checking down an all-in bet by the short stack when their one player from making the money. Could someone enlighten me on this or send me to a website about Poker and game theory?
Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Game Theory

Game Theory is a branch of mathematics dedicated to proving the existence of a best possible strategy. It cannot find what that strategy is, only prove its existence.

In poker, usually you will simply be dealing with deductive reasoning (putting people on hands), and playing the player (if you're up against a calling station, value bet relentlessly, and don't bluff).
Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 PM

game theory is the science of rational behavior in interactive situations. Heavy emphasis on RATIONAL. Andy Bloch is a great example. He makes decisions based on his opponents ranges of hands in particular situations. This is why imo he has a hard time with LAGs such as Gus Hanson. A simple game of tic tac toe has a game tree with 100s of branches. Imagine poker or chess. It's not an exact science...just a way of approaching a problem.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:45 PM

I highly doubt that studying game theory will help ur poker game. Am I wrong?

Indy
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that some aspects of game theory (for instance the logic behind randomizing your play and what that "right mix" might look like, which I think Sklansky dedicates a chapter to in Theory of Poker) can help your poker game, but in general, it is simply a model to describe interactive decision-making, which is more useful, at least in a practical sense, in other types of "games" than poker. If you're interested in learning more about Game Theory I would check out the book "Thinking Strategically." I think it is a very solid book and a fascinating read.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:18 PM

That was my first inclination Indiana, but like I said I hear people saying that poker players have gotten where they by mastering game theory. Thanks for the reples everyone
Old 08-20-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate. Thanks