Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 11:40 PM

Default I really like how I played this

Villain is 45/12/1.6 on 73 hands. I really like the way I played this. Agreed?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: I really like how I played this

[ QUOTE ]
I really like how I played this

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Good job.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:11 AM

This is something I've been struggling with...why don't we try for a free showdown here? Villain has a good chance of giving it on the semi-scare card, he could have a buttload of outs against us with AQ/AK so we don't want him to draw for cheap, and he might puss out on the river. Seems like most of the criteria are met?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 AM

me like.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 AM

We'd rather not move him off air, and also not have to pay more if we're behind.

I'll join the parrot chorus. Mikey likes it!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We'd rather not move him off air, and also not have to pay more if we're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you go for a free showdown if this were a TA4 rainbow flop?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you go for a free showdown if this were a TA4 rainbow flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Then it's less likely we are ahead and i'd like to get to SD as cheaply as possible.

IMO free-showdown raises with weak hands are generally a poor idea online, because people don't fold enough. It's more of a useful play if 1)our hand might be good 2) we might fold better hands 3) we might want to value bet again on the river if we improve.

2 is very important, and rarely met. 3 is usually moot because we could raise the inevitable river bet anyway.

Surf
Old 08-17-2005, 01:11 AM

Surfbullet pretty much covered this one. Off hand I use the move most with smaller/mid pairs on boards I think I'm probably good a decent amount of the time but wouldn't mind a fold from nearly anything or the ability to just showdown. It's not all that common off hand.

In essence in situations I'd rather put in 2 bets where I think I'm probably ahead and at the same time wouldn't mind a fold from air since it's probably still live to pairs... or something like that but at the same time wouldn't mind folding to a 3-bet.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:48 AM

I think there are two real disadvantages to a turn raise here. The first is that if he has something like 77, he will fold it, but if I just call, a bet is going in on the river and he isn't getting near the odds to draw to a two outer, so I want him to stay in and pay a bet.

The second disadvantage is that sometimes I get three-bet. That really sucks. I have an okay pair and a gutshot. I don't want to pay three bets to see a turn against AA when I could have paid one and I don't want to fold when I have a bunch of outs and the pot is big. The situation just sucks and is completely avoidable.

I see no real advantage of raising the turn to offset these disadvantages.