Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Flopping bottom two pair

Been lurking for a while. First started post. I'd love to hear how most 2plus2 posters feel about this one.

This is particular to when you are BB or SB. You've got two random low cards. But either you can check as BB or are getting amazing pot odds to call SB, so you see the flop and youve hit bottom two pair.

For this example, let's say 4-7 is the hand du juor. The flop comes A (or K) -4-7. You are first to act normally (or second behind a check), what is the optimal play here?

I've been making a large bet (2/3 to 3/4 pot size), figuring I can end the hand right there since I didn't really want in the hand to begin and rather win the small pot then lose a bigger one on the river.

Am I wrong? Please flame. I need to learn.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Flopping bottom two pair

anyone?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:05 PM

depends on the opponent. If he is agressive i would rather check or check behind. If he is loose passive i min bet. Assuming this is in the later levels like 75/150 or 100/200. It is a little differnt if it it the early game. If it is early i would bet 2/3 or the pot usually. I never really come across these situations because i always push 2 random low cards after the sb limps and i always fold 2 random low cards in the sb.(later levels only)
Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 PM

I was thinking more of early stages (1st or 2nd) situation.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:22 PM

early i would usually try to slowplay to make him hit a 2nd best hand or you wont get paid off. Betting 2/3 or the pot isnt bad eitehr.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:28 PM

I think you have to be aggressive and bet out something like 2/3 of the pot, betting more if there are two of the same suit. You just have to hope someone hit the top pair and is willing to play back at you or to make a bad call. The only other play is to c/r if you are pretty certain someone will bet their ace or king. In later stages (75/150 and up) I think you have to check this hand and determine if you will c/r the flop or bet the turn if the flop is checked around since no one can put you on two pair from the sb or bb.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:39 PM

You situation depends on the the number of opponents and the board. The less dangerous the board the more willing I am to get my chips in the middle. AS the SB getting rediculous odds you're going to have a lot of people in the pot so checking with the intention of reevaluating the situation when it getrs back to you is best. However with fewer opponents, likely you being the BB, you're going to want to bet out over 1/2 the pot generally if the board isn't too scary.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Depends on number of opponents. Heads up = slowplay. Lots of people + draws = fast play

Thats just general though