Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 08:36 AM

Default My first live MTT....

... ended in exactly 2 orbits. Woot. What do you all think of this hand?

Situation: blinds 25/50, 1k starting stacks (only 20x in level 1???). $35+$5 buyin. Blinds go up every 20 minutes. So, I'm thinking *must accumulate quickly*.

So this table is pretty passive preflop, most pots are limped. I limp behind in position with suited connecting rags and big suited rags (Axs, Kxs) a few times, and interestingly the only pocket pairs I get are JJ and 88 UTG and UTG+1 respectively, both of which I limp, and both of which I fold on the flop (flop was Q high multiway with the JJ).

So I limp on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] behind 2 other limpers, folds to the BB who checks. Flop 753r and I bet 2/3 and win.

Next hand I have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO. Two limpers to me but I only see one of them (didn't see EP limper). I make it 200 and the BB, EP, MP limpers all call.

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checks to me and I move in for 900 or so into the 800 pot. Thoughts?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: My first live MTT....

[ QUOTE ]
... ended in exactly 2 orbits. Woot. What do you all think of this hand?

Situation: blinds 25/50, 1k starting stacks (only 20x in level 1???). $35+$5 buyin. Blinds go up every 20 minutes. So, I'm thinking *must accumulate quickly*.

So this table is pretty passive preflop, most pots are limped. I limp behind in position with suited connecting rags and big suited rags (Axs, Kxs) a few times, and interestingly the only pocket pairs I get are JJ and 88 UTG and UTG+1 respectively, both of which I limp, and both of which I fold on the flop (flop was Q high multiway with the JJ).

So I limp on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] behind 2 other limpers, folds to the BB who checks. Flop 753r and I bet 2/3 and win.

Next hand I have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO. Two limpers to me but I only see one of them (didn't see EP limper). I make it 200 and the BB, EP, MP limpers all call.

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checks to me and I move in for 900 or so into the 800 pot. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like your first mistake was missing the extra limper & not isolating. to compound your problem chances are someone showed you QJ for two pair.

its going to be tough not to put in a pot sized bet here since its checked to you. too bad it didn't work out here.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Some thoughts

Alright, so here I am in a pretty fast moving table, and I don't want to think too long to give information away. With the blind structure moving up so fast I'm not sure I can afford to limp here and fold to a checkraise on the flop. So I pretty much have to raise. (Anyone have problems with this logic?) Perhaps the t200 raise was too small, maybe it should have been more like t300?

The other thing is that I don't want to push preflop my 1000 or so chip stack into a 200 chip pot, especially since I can make a more normal sized raise and be able to fold on a bad flop.

On the flop, this is one of the worst flops to give free cards to and if I was going to fold TPTK in last position I should have just folded preflop.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:58 AM

i think this is fine. against the kind of players i've seen live, i'd raise to 250 and be pretty surprised to take it down pre-flop.

post-flop is automatic.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is fine. against the kind of players i've seen live, i'd raise to 250 and be pretty surprised to take it down pre-flop.

post-flop is automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

so here i am, about to post, and i read the very last comment, and it is almost word for word what i was going to say.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

post-flop is automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

so here i am, about to post, and i read the very last comment, and it is almost word for word what i was going to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you guys think that the 200 raise is actually too small, or simply a minor mistake?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

post-flop is automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM

pretty tiny mistake. you're not crying if wind up playing a multiway pot against people who will stack off with 2nd pair.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 AM

I think the AQ hand has been adressed, but I can't understand the JJ limp in early position in a passive game. I only do that with shortstacks in an aggressive game, where I can limp raise. I think against a passive field thats a pretty easy raise.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM

it more important that the game was loose, meaning that you'll get called by a8o and then can stack him on an 8-high flop.