Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Mike Sexton Q&A 2pm (8/15)

Send all your questions over here.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:10 PM

Default His answer re: FT blind structure

Chris Lakeville MA: Mike, enjoy all your work and wish you well in the future. What are your opinnions on the blind structures at the WPT and why is it so many pros dislike it so much?

Mike Sexton: (2:08 PM ET ) Well, the problem is that the structure is great until you get down to the final table and even then the first three levels are fine. They need to end the TV show which is why they increase it so quickly. They are on a schedule with a tremendous crew. But without TV, these prize pools would never happen. Additionally, if the final table takes so long, the audience drifts out, you need to keep them interested. Time constraints are a problem, yes I understand that the players think the 30 minute levels are a little fast when you are playing for that kind of money. That said, they might have been playing slow for the first four levels.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: His answer re: VVP and live final tables

Kevin (Syracuse, NY) (Yep, that's me): If Vince wasn't available, who would you like to commentate with on WPT broadcasts?

Mike Sexton: (2:13 PM ET ) Oh Golly. I've never even thought of that. Vince and I are sort of like Peanut butter and jelly. I did a couple guest shows with Daniel Negreanu when Vince was out of town. There are a couple of guys that I wouldn't mind working with, but I really enjoy working with Vince.

And yet another ? from me:

Kevin (Syracuse, NY): Do you think that the WPT will ever do a live final table?

Mike Sexton: (2:34 PM ET ) Its possible. I would not say never, but it is very difficult to film a final table. There's got to have a time restraint on it and its got to end. The problem with poker tournaments is that the final table could take one hour, or eight hours! Most hands are when someone bets and then everyone folds. For the average guy on the street, its going to be boring to them watch that hour after hour. The poker enthusiasts will watch, but you need the moderate fan to watch and you need to keep up ratings. A few shows have been tried and a couple have worked relatively well, but at some point, if you are scheduled for a 4 hour or 8 hour programs, you've got to kick the limits up and the players will complain about that. If the TV people dont, the show might not end.

Seems not that many are following the chat if I can get multiple questions answered.