Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Default KQ in early position.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (17.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: KQ in early position.

obvious recommendations : fold pre-flop.

i thought i was in control when i 3-bet, but a cap scared me. hence the check on the river. prepared to call.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Yuck fold PF, unless UTG is an absolute maniac in which case you 3-bet him.

Weird river check by MP1 after he capped the turn.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i thought i was in control when i 3-bet, but a cap scared me. hence the check on the river. prepared to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

or 3-bet early, big off suits aren't great multi-way.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HOWEVER - now that your in the pot I would have call the turn - paired board and THOSE cards scare the crap out of me.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (17.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd fold preflop too. I think you're fine peeling off on the flop. You can't give yourself a full six outs for overs, nor will your straight be good all the time, but I'd say you have at least six effective outs. The flop raise behind you sucks, but you can call closing the action. I could go either way on the turn, 3betting or calling. Depends on the players involved, and how aggro they are. Same thing on the river, though I think against most players bet/call is the best line.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:16 PM

Calling the turn is a weak play. There are a lot more hands with a T in it that aren't filled up here than are. Also, most players will play any ten like this. Plus, even though you might be behind, UTG is giving you a nice overlay.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 PM

? How is calling a cap a weak play on the turn? Not like he can raise it then and his hand is going to be good enough to make this worth calling down.

Hand is fine after the flop. I don't think you're missing value by checking the river here, if he has trips and capped the turn with it he's just as likely to bet out the river as he is to check behind.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 PM

I agree with the pre-flop fold, but since you didn't, shouldn't you have raised the flop?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:36 PM

Postflop looks all right to me.

On the turn, UTG's checkraise would have scared me, but I'm still more intimidated at 5/10 than I should be. In any event, it looks like he probably simply caught aces up, and that's a reasonable thing to suspect at the time of the checkraise, I think.

MP1's cap is troubling, but he could just have trips (or even another KQ), and at least the board didn't double-pair on the river.

Still, I would have been scared enough after the turn cap that I probably would have just check-called the river.

Preflop, I would have folded. But then I think you know already that most people here would muck KQo to an UTG raise.