Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Default LAG 2: Resurrection

There is smart "LAG" and dumb LAG. Dumb LAG gets you broke. Spewing chips into the pot is a special circumstance. In several of the "LAG" posts, Hero seems to decide preflop that THIS IS MY HAND and proceed to firehose chips into the pot. That is tilt.

In this hand I have been in quiet mode for a few orbits, playing only a couple hands and not raising with them. I am watching the end of Aviator and lying low playing three tables. Leonardo DiCaprio with a mangled Howard Hughes accent and moustache is unintentionally hilarious.

SB/Victim on screen 2 has taken a big hit, then fired on a flop and gotten raised out, then gotten overaggressive a couple hands later. I don't think he's in all-in bluff mode despite his short stack.

NL $1,000 (6 max) (No DP) (Real Money)

Seat 3: Limpfolder2 ( $366 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $2141.25 )
Seat 5: SB/Victim ( $490 )
Seat 2: Limpfolder1 ( $1013.50 )
Seat 1: BB ( $1000 )

Dealt to Hero [ Qh Jh ]
Limpfolder 1 calls [$10].
Limpfolder2 calls [$10].
Hero (button) calls [$10].
SB/Victim calls [$5].
BB checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 7c, 2s, 2h ]

SB/Victim bets [$35].
BB folds.
Limpfolder1 folds.
Limpfolder2 folds.
Hero calls [$35].

** Dealing Turn ** [ Ks ]

SB/Victim bets [$65].
Hero takes his time, raises to [$175].
SB/Victim calls [$110].

** Dealing River ** [ Jd ]

SB/Victim checks.
Hero bets [$125].
SB/Victim calls [$125].
Old 08-20-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: LAG 2: Resurrection

If you're going to make a play, make it on the flop!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 AM

why no preflop raise ? or is a button raise seen as weak and will get called multiway here.

on the turn, I don't think you will fold out a 2 and likely not any overpair above 7.

I doubt the K helped him and I like the value bet with J on the river.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:24 AM

To me the river bet seems like a very thin value bet for A7, 88, 99, TT - all of which are likely in his hand range. If he had a 2, I think he'd try to get it all in on the turn.

But, I don't think you're betting any non Q non J river, are you? With $150 left and $470 in the pot, is he really folding? So, your raise is standard here to set up a pot bet on the river that the opponent feels uncomfortable calling - but he doesn't have enough behind for that pot bet.

On the other hand, if SB has a 7, calling the turn is a thin call - all he beats is a bluff, which is what Hero happens to have, but I still think it's a good raise. A 2 would play this the same way, as could KJ-K8.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:00 PM

I don't like this hand for several reasons.

a) flop call is very..risky? SB did bet into 4 players and you are calling him with 2 overcards that may be no good and a backdoor flush draw. Unless you know for sure that he could only have a 7 there because he's a habitual slow player, I think flop call is pretty bad it self.

b) I dont know what you are representing with a turn raise. Slowplayed A2s is only logical possibility I think and that's a hard sell.

c) River looks okay since he is commited here and probably calling the rest off with a 7, and given how he played turn and checked river makes it likely that he doesn't have a 2.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:51 PM

he is more likely to call on the flop. plus his turn action will help me decide whether he has a hand.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:53 PM

one can raise preflop. i mix it up but often call there because i want Q9s, J9, lesser hearts, etc in. also, i wanted SB to play because he was so likely to fire at that flop.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:00 PM

he caught me on the turn - took a long time calling. his call was unexpected and made me think he had a weak 7 but didn't realize the K protected him somewhat, or that he had an underpair to the 7. that put me to a difficult decision.

i was going to fire the third barrel slowly, with nothing but air, unless an undercard to the 7 came. when the J hit, my hand was clearly good, so it was a matter of figuring out how much he would call. he took a long time calling the $125, so presumably i got close.

he had 66.

you can lose a lot of chips playing hands like that. but they also have metagame equity. i get paid off a lot.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he caught me on the turn - took a long time calling. his call was unexpected and made me think he had a weak 7 but didn't realize the K protected him somewhat, or that he had an underpair to the 7. that put me to a difficult decision.

i was going to fire the third barrel slowly, with nothing but air, unless an undercard to the 7 came. when the J hit, my hand was clearly good, so it was a matter of figuring out how much he would call. he took a long time calling the $125, so presumably i got close.

he had 66.

you can lose a lot of chips playing hands like that. but they also have metagame equity. i get paid off a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

getting paid off more > losing tons of bluff equity? I think the latter is more important IMO.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 PM

Matt,

Here's the thing for me. He decided to call you with 66 on that turn, what's his plan for the river? I almost think that he has to put you on some sort of move and will generally call off the rest of his chips. I also think that, while he callled your small river value bet, he might have even been more willing to call off the rest of your stack. I try to work on my timing in that spot, maybe hesitate a bit and then jam all my chips in the pot.

I think you coulda end up with his stack here. Many players will also think that you are not capable of value betting a jack here and will either have you sold on a king or read you for a bluff and make the call.

I think you should get greedy, and even if you dont get a call you portray the image to the table that they are probably going to have to be willing to risk their stack vs you in order to win a pot, which you can obviously use to your advantage.

-Jason