Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 02:30 AM

Default The *official* lag hand of the week

Hello MHNL.
Here's my Lag Hand.
10-25nl at borgata..my stack about 6k, villains stack about 4k
I am in MP, villain is on Button,he is not very good, weak passive..always bitching bout something..hates life cuz every morning he wakes up as himself, very tight, his reraises means a hand.
I have a very LAG image.
1 limp to me, i make it 120 with 3c3d ,he makes it 300, all else fold, i call.
flop is 8h Kd 7d ,
I check, he bets 500 i call.
Turn is 4c.
Check Check
river is 9h, i bet 2k.
Standard? Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: The *official* lag hand of the week

ummmm ok well when you check called did you do that to represent flush when it comes? did you do that because you put him on QQ-JJ and wanted to see if he checked behind on turn to take it away on river?

i mean if he's weak tight he will probably fold QQ or lower here. but if he's weak tight i can also see him having AK or AA and checking behind on turn because that's what weak tight people do, and then on river he is calling. this looks a lot like a missed flush draw IMO or it could be a set that missed a check raise. if i'm not weak tight and i have anything and you are as lag as you are i am calling, but this is if i am not weak tight. most likely he has QQ type hand and you take him off it but to anyone who has played poker i don't know what you are really trying to represent, it looks like aggression for aggression's sake.

edit: i like this play a LOT more if you do it in position. calling to take away out of position is usually disastrous, IMHO.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ummmm ok well when you check called did you do that to represent flush when it comes? did you do that because you put him on QQ-JJ and wanted to see if he checked behind on turn to take it away on river?

i mean if he's weak tight he will probably fold QQ or lower here. but if he's weak tight i can also see him having AK or AA and checking behind on turn because that's what weak tight people do, and then on river he is calling. this looks a lot like a missed flush draw IMO or it could be a set that missed a check raise. if i'm not weak tight and i have anything and you are as lag as you are i am calling, but this is if i am not weak tight. most likely he has QQ type hand and you take him off it but to anyone who has played poker i don't know what you are really trying to represent, it looks like aggression for aggression's sake.

edit: i like this play a LOT more if you do it in position. calling to take away out of position is usually disastrous, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
You do understand the the 9 is not a complete blank right?
Do you like this move a lot bettre if he bet the turn?
I agree that this play would be a lot better in position, but then it is almost "standard" for me, i wanted to see what mhnl thought of a bluff like this OOP.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 AM

9 is sort of a blank, unless you are representing 999 exactly, which is the only hand that got there on the river. but in that way, any card could give you a set on the river.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:46 AM

I would think villain is most afraid of 2 pair - K9 first, and 89 second.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Think he means 56.

I don't like it unless villain will outthink himself here and fold. I understand your image is also maniacally laggy most of the time, I can't see even a weak-tight player folding AA/KK here.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:08 AM

Im not looking for him to fold KK, i dont think he checks behind on blank turn with KK. AA AK QQ maybe JJ, is what he has.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think he means 56.

I don't like it unless villain will outthink himself here and fold. I understand your image is also maniacally laggy most of the time, I can't see even a weak-tight player folding AA/KK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

56 got there on the turn. 9 is a blank except ::sigh:: 89 or JT. but it is a blank in that it appears not to help, which is all a blank can be. sure any card can help any person but when you play 94s and hit two pair with a 9 for instance, a seeming blank makes your hand. and that is really the ONLY value of playing trash. trash aside, the 9 is a blank.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:33 AM

does a weak-tight player even bet that flop with QQ/JJ? is he so weak-tight that he'd actually fold AA/AK? i like his line a lot if he had AA, it's a fine pot-control play in position with a one-pair hand (of course he MUST call the river bet if he takes that line).
Old 08-13-2005, 03:44 AM

p.s. are you wary of people checking behind the turn with monsters to induce your bluffs? do people do this to you a lot? seems like if i got KK here maybe i check behind versus you you crazy lag bastahd.